Premed 101 Forums

Observerships at other medical schools?

I've heard of people doing this in past years. But I've never had anybody actually explain how to do this. It's always been very vague and somewhat secretive (?). 

How do I start? Is it possible?  Who do I ask?

Thank you :wub:

EDIT: to clarify I meant to do summer observerships (non-credit electives we call them)

I'm not sure what you mean... everyone does visiting electives in medical school. You don't usually have time to do pre-clerkship electives/observerships and for those schools that do (Mac) most schools in my experience do not take pre-clerkship electives, but it is possible to do an observership in another province unaffiliated with the medical school, as many provinces have a observership licence or something like it, although you aren't allowed to do anything.

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

I'm not sure what you mean... everyone does visiting electives in medical school. You don't usually have time to do pre-clerkship electives/observerships and for those schools that do (Mac) most schools in my experience do not take pre-clerkship electives, but it is possible to do an observership in another province unaffiliated with the medical school, as many provinces have a observership licence or something like it, although you aren't allowed to do anything.

Sorry for being vague, I clarified (hopefully) that I meant summer observerships or as we call them non-credit summer electives 

UWO offer SWOMEN summer elective

ROMP program for northern ontario, I heard it was really fun to go up north during summer. I think sponsored by NOSM.

I heard UofT also offer some "rural" summer experience, although I heard they classify Newmarket as rural lol. If you have a giant SmartCenter with Walmart superstore in there you're probably not rural lol. Maybe seeing wildlife other than squirrels and racoons counts as rural experience for Torontonians. At least they can get their avocado toast and PSL in Newmarket.

46 minutes ago, shikimate said:

UWO offer SWOMEN summer elective

ROMP program for northern ontario, I heard it was really fun to go up north during summer. I think sponsored by NOSM.

I heard UofT also offer some "rural" summer experience, although I heard they classify Newmarket as rural lol. If you have a giant SmartCenter with Walmart superstore in there you're probably not rural lol. Maybe seeing wildlife other than squirrels and racoons counts as rural experience for Torontonians. At least they can get their avocado toast and PSL in Newmarket.

ROMP is moreso involved with South Central Ontario! (https://romponline.com/partners/communities/). Not sure what you would use if you wanted to do electives in the North, but I would agree that it is probably affiliated with NOSM somehow.

I did a pre-clerkship summer elective (1 week observership really) in Fergus (30 mins north of KW) which was arranged through ROMP, and it was a fantastic experience. Also my two 4th electives in Owen Sound and Wiarton were arranged through ROMP, and they were super helpful in getting that set up. Def would recommend.