• 66-66.9
    • Less than 65

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've revisited this poll the past two years to tell you all to remain hopeful. Remember that being on the waitlist means that by the Admissions Committee, you meet the criteria for entrance to medical

Just accepted my position off of the IP-NS waitlist! score was a 73.9. There's hope, stay positive guys!!!

Congrats! I also just accepted my position off the IP-NS waitlist with a score of 73.9. Also...my MCAT score was <500. Goes to show that test scores are not everything! Best of luck to everyon

37 minutes ago, whatevenhappened said:

I was mistakenly put on the non-maritime waitlist, but I'm IP so I'm going to post here. I'm trying to reach Dal to figure it out but no luck so far

My waitlist score is 81.2

Yeah, that's strange. I'm sure that is a score that results in acceptance as an IP applicant. I hope you get this sorted.

47 minutes ago, Smallysmalls said:

Sorry, can you explain this a little? I’m not sure what you mean

I'm awful at explaining so here is the definition of a z-score haha. "A z-score (also called a standard score) gives you an idea of how far from the mean a data point is. But more technically it’s a measure of how many standard deviations below or above the population mean a raw score is" 

I've revisited this poll the past two years to tell you all to remain hopeful. Remember that being on the waitlist means that by the Admissions Committee, you meet the criteria for entrance to medical school, but there are just not enough seats. Even then, those who were rejected most likely also meet the criteria as well, so keep that head up. 

I sat on the waitlist two years ago for several months. Then was accepted off the IP waitlist. It is still hard to believe to this day and I'll be a physician two years. The whole bit about Z-scores is confusing, you'll never truly figure out whose going to get in off the waitlist without the population standard deviation, which you'll never obtain. There have been many instances of people getting in off the waitlist with lower total scores than others on the waitlist. 

Keep pushing. If your dream is to be a physician, then re-apply and keep at it. You'll get in. 

Anyone here can explain the whole z score thing? I think I know whats a z score and all but i'm not sure i understand how people would be able to get in with a lower score than others by the zscore - wouldnt a higher score regardless give you a higher z score?

also.. last thing - anyone have averages of last year? like for the supplementaries and interview and such

14 minutes ago, RBG said:

Anyone here can explain the whole z score thing? I think I know whats a z score and all but i'm not sure i understand how people would be able to get in with a lower score than others by the zscore - wouldnt a higher score regardless give you a higher z score?

and this may be nothing to judge but the accepted class of 2025 Face book group is already at 143 members (at 24 hours post decisions) - i know some are admin Med 1s and i see a few upper year students as well but still - the higher the number the more likely of accepted offers... 

and for some reason i almost feel like we wont see that much waitlist movement this year in the ns list - just with covid and everything i dont know how many people would want to move and all. idk anymore at this point - although i want to stay hopeful as much as i can its hard, especially when it can be a waiting game till june and this sort of blocks me from being able to plan anything or be look forward to anything. i really gave it my all and am confused but trying to be patient 

also.. last thing - anyone have averages of last year? like for the supplementaries and interview and such

I'll take a last shot and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong haha. Best way I can think to describe is using GPA as an example. Everyone knows the linear scale they use to give you a score for GPA (you see this score on your letter) with the 4.0 = 15/15, 3.9 = 14/15 and so on. The z-score would give you a different number for GPA because they give you a score based on the other applicants, i.e. if there was no one who they interviewed with a GPA lower than 3.6 then if you get a different score than the linear one because it kind of moves the scale up? 

56 minutes ago, Chels1267 said:

I'll take a last shot and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong haha. Best way I can think to describe is using GPA as an example. Everyone knows the linear scale they use to give you a score for GPA (you see this score on your letter) with the 4.0 = 15/15, 3.9 = 14/15 and so on. The z-score would give you a different number for GPA because they give you a score based on the other applicants, i.e. if there was no one who they interviewed with a GPA lower than 3.6 then if you get a different score than the linear one because it kind of moves the scale up? 

Okay, thanks for attempting to explain this! I appreciate it :) i guess i just have one question then... Does this mean that people who are on the waitlist with lower scores could get in before someone with a higher waitlist score? I.e. someone with a 75 could get in before someone with a 79? 

45 minutes ago, Smallysmalls said:

Okay, thanks for attempting to explain this! I appreciate it :) i guess i just have one question then... Does this mean that people who are on the waitlist with lower scores could get in before someone with a higher waitlist score? I.e. someone with a 75 could get in before someone with a 79? 

I don't think there would be that much of a difference, but yes someone with a lower score could get in before someone with a slightly higher. I've seen like 70.2 get in before like 70.5 before.

2 hours ago, Smallysmalls said:

Hey, yeah it's fairly confusing. Made even worse with the fact that the whole application is not clear at all. I'll add to what Chels1276 said.  The z-score is a measure of how far off the mean value your score is. What is not really clear (I'm happy to be corrected in my assumption) is how Dal ranks these scores.

We know that the intake averages were:
3.9/508 - (lets say that is 15, 508 (i think 505-510 are given the same score)(7 or 8 iirc) - given a value of 22-23 (+/- SD)
supplemental - 24.2 (+/- SD)
MMI - 28.6 (+/- SD)

Total ~ 75.8 (roughly) (as an average including OOP scores (which typically trend higher)

I think where things get hard are:

1) we don't know the exact population mean of all of the applicants (making it hard to ascertain how far from the population mean this value represents)
2) If we did know, we would really not be sure z-score cut off points, since the z-score tells you how far from the mean your value is but without knowing the value it is hard to estimate where you stand. To clarify, SEM or SD depends on variance so number values really depend on variability of the applicants a difference of .3-.5 could actually be statistically significant if variability is low (hope that makes sense!)
3) we do not know if Dal uses the amalgamated values or individual values in ranking applicants (ex: is GPA/MCAT weighted differently vs. Interview/supplemental?) i.e if an applicant is -1 SD from the mean in one category vs. +1.5 SD in another category compared to the sample mean or reference value, does that affect their place or likelihood of admission?

my take on it if I'm being completely honest/pragmatic. Lower scores can be moved first but I suspect that your likelihood will decrease as your score differential increases.
i.e (difference of .1-.5 vs 1.00-1.5+)

Again I'm happy to corrected on this! As I'm in the same boat as everyone here :).

• 3 weeks later...