Premed 101 Forums

Guidance for Post Graduation

Hey everyone,

I am going to be heading into my last year of undergrad in September. I have always had a goal of going to med school but that is looking unlikely as of right now. Due in part to mental health issues in early years and immaturity I bombed the first few years of my undergrad. I have slowly but surely increased my grades but my cumulative would still be a max of 2.7-3.0 range. So now I am looking at what  options I have post graduation. I am still focused on med school since I'm 21 and feel like I could still have a chance in the future. My question is what's the best course of action? Would a second degree be helpful in this case? I currently have a biological sciences degree, which on its own is kind of useless. I am just looking for guidance, I have been slowly losing hope in this as time goes on because of how much I messed up my first few years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 5:42 PM, Redface said:

Your 1st degrees transfer credits will make your 2nd degree much shorter. Also, Queens, UoT, Queens and McGill will only look at your 2nd degree. I am in the same shoes as you. 

Does UofT only looks at the second degree for now? Someone told me that UofT and Mac will look at everything from undergrad, so only Western, Queens, NOSM, and UOttawa would be much more possible with second degree but I'm not sure if they have changed it? 

22 minutes ago, clinicalhope said:

Does UofT only looks at the second degree for now? Someone told me that UofT and Mac will look at everything from undergrad, so only Western, Queens, NOSM, and UOttawa would be much more possible with second degree but I'm not sure if they have changed it? 

If you had an unusual situation that cause you to do poorly on your 1st degree they UoT will only look at your 2nd degree. Yes the other schools, including Dalhousie, will only look at your last 2 years of 2nd degree. 

https://md.utoronto.ca/news/admissions-blog-upgrading-your-gpa

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, Redface said:

If you had an unusual situation that cause you to do poorly on your 1st degree they UoT will only look at your 2nd degree. Yes the other schools, including Dalhousie, will only look at your last 2 years of 2nd degree. 

https://md.utoronto.ca/news/admissions-blog-upgrading-your-gpa

@Redface Do you know if the UofT wGPA removes 2 full FCE's if they're only considering an applicant's second degree that was 2 years in length? (either due to transfer credits or accelerated 2-year programs). Following their logic of 1 year of full course load = -1 FCE I would assume so. (also with the recent 2020 wGPA policy of a maximum of -2 FCE).

However, on this page it states https://md.utoronto.ca/gpa-and-gpa-weighting "The wGPA removes two FCE grade(s) if you apply after completing three years of undergraduate study under a full course load..."

11 minutes ago, medicineballislife said:

@Redface Do you know if the UofT wGPA removes 2 full FCE's if they're only considering an applicant's second degree that was 2 years in length? (either due to transfer credits or accelerated 2-year programs). Following their logic of 1 year of full course load = -1 FCE I would assume so. (also with the recent 2020 wGPA policy of a maximum of -2 FCE).

However, on this page it states https://md.utoronto.ca/gpa-and-gpa-weighting "The wGPA removes two FCE grade(s) if you apply after completing three years of undergraduate study under a full course load..."

From what Ik. 3 years 2nd degree would make you eligible for the 2 courses exemption