Premed 101 Forums

2021 mdcm waitlist updates

Med201920

Just now, Med201920 said:

yeah, weird, I am stressing a lot! it was supposed to move after Ontario schools release their results. did they by the way?

Supposedly it did for Med-Ps but they haven't updated the website yet so I am assuming they will soon. Just hoping it moves for the University cohort :( The wait is pain.

6 minutes ago, B.Sc. Psychology said:

The list was just updated for med-P, maybe they will update it for MDCM too... Also I think Ontario schools release their results this week starting yesterday according to other forums.

Yeah, I don't know if there's a day to commit (aka only holding onto 1 acceptance) for either French or Ontarian schools. Je ne peux pas lire les websites français des Sherbrooke, Laval, et Montreal.

FYI, (besides ON schools) the deadline for accepting/declining an offer at french schools (Qc) was on May 10th; they will hold their second wave of offers starting May 13th'ish. Fair to guess the MDCM WL should get moving by the end of the week or next week!

22 minutes ago, MK. said:

FYI, (besides ON schools) the deadline for accepting/declining an offer at french schools (Qc) was on May 10th; they will hold their second wave of offers starting May 13th'ish. Fair to guess the MDCM WL should get moving by the end of the week or next week!

Is May 10th the deadline for OOP MDCM to accept as well? 

9 minutes ago, caturday said:

Is May 10th the deadline for OOP MDCM to accept as well? 

That I don't know; for McGill MDCM, the offers were on March 25th, and usually the uni gives a week to accept/decline.

For french unis, I can't find any distinct date for other applicant categories besides May 10th.

39 minutes ago, MK. said:

Is accepting the offer binding? Aka committing to the school or accepting the offer = holding your seat and you can hold other acceptances?

Just now, abcd1288 said:

Is accepting the offer binding? Aka committing to the school or accepting the offer = holding your seat and you can hold other acceptances?

You can't accept more than one offer or you're flagged for lack of professionalism, but here's what students do:

Because McGill offers are the first to come, students accept the offer (March 25th).
Then, they wait until April 29th to get offers from french schools.
If they decide to pursue medicine at a french uni over McGill, they cancel their admission at McGill and accept that of their preferred french uni.
This process takes place starting April 29th til late summer as long as there's still offers from french unis, so you'll have to give some time for McGill to process the cancellations if there are.

Just now, MK. said:

You can't accept more than one offer or you're flagged for lack of professionalism, but here's what students do:

Because McGill offers are the first to come, students accept the offer (March 25th).
Then, they wait until April 29th to get offers from french schools.
If they decide to pursue medicine at a french uni over McGill, they cancel their admission at McGill and accept that of their preferred french uni.
This process takes place starting April 29th til late summer as long as there's still offers from french unis, so you'll have to give some time for McGill to process the cancellations if there are.

Great! Thanks for the clarification!

18 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

should we start to worry? there is update yet. (today 13th of May, 11AM)

I'm not sure, for me I personally am because the movement has been a lot slower than previous years + my current position in the waitlist is meh. Hopefully there will be more movements soon either tomorrow or Monday as the poster above said. I'm not sure why it's so slow given this year, the decisions come out much earlier.

13 minutes ago, wannaBADoc said:

OOP and med P moved a bit today

I'm really surprised Med-P moved much more than Quebec University category considering making it to Med-P, you are at a much better position than if you were to apply from university due to competition. I wonder if other unis in QC also have the same program. I know UdeM has APP which is similar to McGill's Med-P

15 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

I'm really surprised Med-P moved much more than Quebec University category considering making it to Med-P, you are at a much better position than if you were to apply from university due to competition. I wonder if other unis in QC also have the same program. I know UdeM has APP which is similar to McGill's Med-P

Since for Cegep students, we apply to 4 medicine faculties, when we get our answers from other unis, some of us decline McGill's offer and so the WL moves pretty quickly. :) **oh and I just wanted to clarify APP means apprentissage par problème which is equivalent to PBL (problem based learning) and not Med-P. But yeah at UdeM we do have a preparatory year too :D

2 minutes ago, LYMed said:

Since for Cegep students, we apply to 4 medicine faculties, when we get our answers from other unis, some of us decline McGill's offer and so the WL moves pretty quickly. :) **oh and I just wanted to clarify APP means apprentissage par problème which is equivalent to PBL (problem based learning) and not Med-P. But yeah at UdeM we do have a preparatory year too :D

Yes my apologies. My french is super bad so when I read discussions of APP (mostly at UdeM) I mistaken it for being equivalent first year of McGill med-P! I was thinking of prepatorie anee at UdeM :lol:

Hey guys, so I just checked my Minerva and I got my offer!!! I am waitlist spot #4 

I have been checking the waitlist movement by refreshing McGill's webpage so I didn't think it moved, but they sent me an offer May 12 already on Minerva, but I just saw it on Minerva right now :) 

Seems there is a lag between minerva updates and site update/email sent. So maybe check yours as well just in case :P

Feeling really blessesd!  

6 minutes ago, Cardiolove01 said:

Hey guys, so I just checked my Minerva and I got my offer!!! I am waitlist spot #4 

I have been checking the waitlist movement by refreshing McGill's webpage so I didn't think it moved, but they sent me an offer May 12 already on Minerva, but I just saw it on Minerva right now :) 

Seems there is a lag between minerva updates and site update/email sent. So maybe check yours as well just in case :P

Feeling really blessesd!  

Congratulations on your offer! I do hope it's a lag and hope there will be a lot of movement like the past 3 years (I'm at #22 so not sure how to feel)! So happy for you!

9 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

Congratulations on your offer! I do hope it's a lag and hope there will be a lot of movement like the past 3 years (I'm at #22 so not sure how to feel)! So happy for you!

Ya I'm not sure why waitlist is so slow this year, maybe pandemic is making students want to stay in the province they already live in? Not wanting to risk moving to another region with so much uncertainty still? Really not sure :( 

Thank you so much for the congratulations :wub:  this was 4 ish years in making, started applying when i was 26 at end of my Masters, faced 3 rejections,( ranked 140, then 103, then 79) but prerequisites dragged me down took a year off to not apply re-do prerequisites, and finally now 29 finally in 

Routing for you!!!  I know its been stressful to be on waitlist, please reach out if you need support/vent/anything, happy to chat always,  hope we get to be colleagues in the fall :) keep me posted when you get in!! 

5 hours ago, Med201920 said:

this doesn't look good. it's moving very slowly

Yeah I'm not sure why. Significantly slower than previous years. Hoping maybe there will be a huge wave but it's depressing looking at it. On the other hand, Med-P is moving like crazy.

2 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Hi Guys, 

it moved a bit today. do you have any idea about any deadline for acceptance approaching that could make the WL move faster?

regards

Y

The Ontario med school offer deadline is today. There is also the deposit refund deadline on June 15 so hopefully those contribute some spots.