Premed 101 Forums

2021 mdcm waitlist updates

Med201920

26 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Thanks for the details!! Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed! Though that'd depend on QC residents writing the MCAT and Im guessing not many do write the MCAT? Unless there's a high number who got into Ottawa which doesn't require the MCAT and has its own French Stream

On 5/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, abcd1288 said:

Fingers crossed! Though that'd depend on QC residents writing the MCAT and Im guessing not many do write the MCAT? Unless there's a high number who got into Ottawa which doesn't require the MCAT and has its own French Stream

indeed, not many. McGill acceptance ratio used to be 1 for each 3 applicants. in fact, many students complained that the university favored anglophones because it required the MCAT (I wrote the MCAT in english, and my first language is neither english nor french).  right after McGill removed it. the rate of acceptance jumped to 1seats for 10 applicants

so we can easily assume that many quebec residents do not write the MCAT.

anyhow. we will see

1 hour ago, Med201920 said:

indeed, not many. McGill acceptance ratio used to be 1 for each 3 applicants. in fact, many students complained that the university favored anglophones because it required the MCAT (I wrote the MCAT in english, and my first language is neither english nor french).  right after McGill removed it. the rate of acceptance jumped to 1seats for 10 applicants

so we can easily assume that many quebec residents do not write the MCAT.

anyhow. we will see

Yeah it's really unfortunate, and I think there's definitely an element of politics involved as McGill is an anglophone institution in Quebec and the clash between the two languages and cultures remain a sensitive topic in Quebec to this date. And I agree, I also wrote the MCAT and my first language isn't English or French either. Sure the language barrier was challenging but not impossible so Idk, but I personally prefer having an MCAT as another metric than not (because then it'll be like Ottawa where everyone is mostly 3.95+ to be accepted). 

I'm not sure what's going on this year with the waitlist movements but I hope it will move similarly to the last 3 years where it's 25+ people getting in. I'd love to stay in the province since I have family support and I have also been learning French XP

35 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

Almost one week but no movement at all and significantly slower than the past 3 years :( (forum is also quiet). Either there's a huge wave incoming or this is one of those years where very few got off the waitlist. See you all in June 15th

what's on June 15th? deadline for deposit?

7 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

what's on June 15th? deadline for deposit?

Deadline to withdraw from the offer and get back the deposit. But again, it's $500 so I dont know if its a big enough amount. Some might just don't care and would not mind withdrawing later even if it means losing the $500. That and July 1st for deferral requests. Idk, the past 3 years the movement has been quite steady and good and generally reach mid 20s by June 1st 

1 hour ago, Mango-chai said:

does anyone have access to the waitlist movement of last year? How much did the waiting list move in June and July?  

By quite a bit, 38 by Jun 3rd, though I'd subtract 20 or so spots due to the government's last minute additional seats to Mcgill and other schools. 

Comparing to 2019 where it's at 17 by Jun 3rd, 2018 where it's at 23 by Jun 7th, and 2017 where it's at 8 by Jun 8th. 2017 happens to be one of the lowest year and unless a miracle happens, this year seems to be an extraordinary slow/tough year for WL.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ceelbe said:

Moved two spots for IP today, for those following! 

Hopefully more movements up to the high 25s!

2 hours ago, Telomerase31 said:

J’ai une question pour les listes à McGill, il y a deux listes séparés pour le campus Montréal et Outaouais? Donc si vous marquez les deux campus vous vous retrouvez sur deux listes d’attentes différentes? 

Oui! Tu as raison!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my refusal letter today despite holding onto slim hope of another wave of intense waitlist movement as seen from last cycle. 

Heres hoping I make interview stage again next cycle. I'm a little frustrated that they got rid of science GPA weighing out of nowhere. Wish I could go back in time and chill a bit more about hitting A's in some sciences and go to some parties and concerts that I skipped to study LOL. 

Good luck next cycle to those who didn't make this time around. We will make it one day ;)  

For better or worse, luck plays a critical role in the process. I recall I too was on a wait list and finally got off the wait list in August. Had I applied the year before or the year after, I would not have made it as the wait list did not move as much! It is a numbers game where there are more qualified applicants than seats available. You are obviously qualified, all you need to do is persevere.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, Bambi said:

For better or worse, luck plays a critical role in the process. I recall I too was on a wait list and finally got off the wait list in August. Had I applied the year before or the year after, I would not have made it as the wait list did not move as much! It is a numbers game where there are more qualified applicants than seats available. You are obviously qualified, all you need to do is persevere.

I feel incredibly lucky that I made it to the interview stage this cycle. My CV got incredibly buffed over the last year so I'm very optimistic that app #2 will be the one, I just need one more shot at the MMI  ;).

Thank you for your kind words. 

• 2 weeks later...