Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Communication from Programs

I applied to OBGYN and Family Medicine programs. Some FM programs emailed me after the interview thanking me for applying and expressing interest in welcoming me to their program.

For current residents; do these emails mean anything? Does this mean that the program has ranked you? 

For current applicants; have others received such emails from FM or OBGYN Programs? If so, from what programs? 

23 minutes ago, HateTheSystem said:

I applied to OBGYN and Family Medicine programs. Some FM programs emailed me after the interview thanking me for applying and expressing interest in welcoming me to their program.

For current residents; do these emails mean anything? Does this mean that the program has ranked you? 

For current applicants; have others received such emails from FM or OBGYN Programs? If so, from what programs? 

I received emails from basically every FM program I interviewed at (all western Canada). I think nearly all of mine came within 24 hours of the interview as well, which means there’s no way they’d even likely been done analyzing scores before contacting me. 

A generic “thank you for interviewing with us” email I really don’t think means anything with respect to your ranking, it’s just a common courtesy. And remember, even if you could know a program ‘ranked you’, that’s not a guarantee you can match to it - being ranked can still mean being at the bottom of the list. 

I’ve gotten one that was not personalized/mailing list, and one that was (it still felt pretty generic and like they had probably sent the same to everyone - still nice, though!). I don’t think it means anything in particular; just a guess, but I would imagine they either send them to everyone or to no one :)

37 minutes ago, openminded10 said:

I just received one too.

I don't get why they would send these kinds of e-mail expressing their interest in us just to send it to many people. Should that raise a red flag for programs that do send these e-mails?

It's easy/low effort for them to do and it's a small thing that could theoretically make a positive difference in how someone ranks their program 

48 minutes ago, openminded10 said:

I just received one too.

I don't get why they would send these kinds of e-mail expressing their interest in us just to send it to many people. Should that raise a red flag for programs that do send these e-mails?

It’s just courteous. Opposite of a red flag - i find it nice to see a program has enough staff/time to bother sending a simple thank you and reiterate that they actually want people to apply / consider ranking them, especially when other programs might not be bothered. 

17 hours ago, Divine Comedy said:

Even in the US these thank you emails don't make a difference.

I agree for the vast majority, and yet on SDN every once in a while you hear about a resident who said their program records who says thank yous, and can come into play for ranking. Who knows how legit this is, but why take the risk? I feel like in Canada things are generally more structured and professional but who knows.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, HateTheSystem said:

I received an email from an OBGYN program saying that they hope to see me join them in July, and I have no idea whether or not that is true / personalized or just something that they sent to many people as a general sentiment after the interviews?

30 minutes ago, CaRMS_anxiety said:

I received an email from an OBGYN program saying that they hope to see me join them in July, and I have no idea whether or not that is true / personalized or just something that they sent to many people as a general sentiment after the interviews?

I think it depends on how personalized that email was? Does it sound like an email that can be sent to another student if they simply replaced your name? If so, then they probably send it to all applicants. 

However, no matter what, you should not let this affect your own rank list and rank according to your true preference.

3 hours ago, MD1361 said:

Hi everyone,

Received an email from my top choice program yesterday, the language was very disappointing to me. Although it was a generic email and asked for the survey but I couldn’t digest its language. Has anyone had the similar experience?

It sounds like they maybe sent the same email to everyone? I would try not to worry! :)

All these communications are almost certainly generic. Programs have nothing to gain by sending different message to those they liked and didn't like. Perhaps in some fields with small programs they will somewhat try to recruit very competitive applicants but this would be an obviously personalized communication, noting specific details. I have heard some of the path specialties where 3 people apply to 10 spots the game is flipped and interviews and communications are more about programs trying to win applicants ha.