Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

M.D.,C.M. - Basic Cardiac Life Support Mandatory Formation (2021)


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

I was simply wondering if anyone could confirm that the BLS-Blended module administrated by the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation represents a valid option to meet the requirements of the mandatory formation we need to complete prior to commencing our M.D.,C.M. degree next August? 

Many thanks and congratulations again to everyone who received an offer yesterday! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took the "BLS provider" certificate with Heart and Stroke last year. No issues from McGill    

I asked them about it when I emailed about the BLS course and they just confirmed that there's a glitch and that they're working on it. Edit: The BCLS checklist item should be available now.

Hello people, I talked to the admission office about the immunization form and I was told that the 2020 one would be fine as well and she gave me the green light to go and have it filled. I would

I emailed the Heart & Stroke Foundation a couple of weeks ago and they told me that it fulfills all the criteria that I outlined (i.e. copied and pasted from the McGill med website), but that I should confirm with McGill. I took another look and figured that it's probably fine so I went and registered for it.

Edit: I've emailed admissions to double check.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To anyone else with the same question, but on another organization, here's McGill regulation:

Certification must be granted, or fully recognized, by any of the following organizations :

The Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation

The Québec Heart and Stroke Foundation

The Canadian Red Cross

St. John Ambulance Canada

The American Heart Association

The American Red Cross

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditions/immu-blsc

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MK. said:

To anyone else with the same question, but on another organization, here's McGill regulation:

Certification must be granted, or fully recognized, by any of the following organizations :

The Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation

The Québec Heart and Stroke Foundation

The Canadian Red Cross

St. John Ambulance Canada

The American Heart Association

The American Red Cross

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/newstudents/conditions/immu-blsc

Thank you for your message! I did see this information, but I was mainly concerned about the specific content requirements of the module I enrolled into. There are indeed so many possible courses administered by these organisations and thus I wanted to pick the correct one.
 

37 minutes ago, Nappyboy said:

McGill website: "uploading the CPR certificate to the BCLS item on your checklist".

 

Anyone else doesn't have the BCLS item on their checklist?

 

I do not have it either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nappyboy said:

McGill website: "uploading the CPR certificate to the BCLS item on your checklist".

 

Anyone else doesn't have the BCLS item on their checklist?

 

I also don't have it. I think there may be a glitch with minerva because I emailed admissions and they said that they could see the BCLS item on their end. Also still no word on the Heart & Stroke BLS Provider course in particular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MedicA1 said:

On a different matter; does anyone know when the 2021 M.D.,C.M. Immunisation Form will be published? 

That I can't say haha it took a while last year... You can definitely get started by checking you have all your boosters though. As long as you get the ball rolling on them, and submit what you have before the deadline, the McGill nurses will assess how long it should take you to complete the list and get in touch then. They were a little more flexible last year because they gave us the list late and no CLSC or doctor's office was super interested in vaccinating for boosters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KitKatCo said:

That I can't say haha it took a while last year... You can definitely get started by checking you have all your boosters though. As long as you get the ball rolling on them, and submit what you have before the deadline, the McGill nurses will assess how long it should take you to complete the list and get in touch then. They were a little more flexible last year because they gave us the list late and no CLSC or doctor's office was super interested in vaccinating for boosters. 

I did mine in 2019 initially but I already booked an appointment for the 3rd TST I have to do. I printed the 2020 one and hopefully it will be enough. The more annoying things to do are the IGG and hep B serology. I thought they do both surface antibody and antigens but some labs only do one if not specified. Last year it was enough to show that you had vacc + boosters. I wasn't born in Canada and had a series of shots outside of the country but my parents never brought the documents here so had to recheck and in some cases redo everything. 

Also get these done fast since you might have to get more than one booster for HepB especially if you one of the people who require more or who don't reach the immunity threshold. 

Also you can register to carnet sante (get code from pharmacy) to print out your lab reports and attach them to the form. 

For now only 2020 form.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amt6500 said:

Hello people,

I talked to the admission office about the immunization form and I was told that the 2020 one would be fine as well and she gave me the green light to go and have it filled. I would assume they want everyone to complete as much as possible as soon as possible to have it verified by the staff.

Hope this helps,

Thanks! Do you know whether the Hepatitis B antibody and antigen tests are not necessary like last year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vons said:

Thanks! Do you know whether the Hepatitis B antibody and antigen tests are not necessary like last year?

Sorry but I didn't ask specifically. That being said if they are required, you can book an appointment with you CLSC. If you do the TST, it has to be given by a nurse (md too but lollll). Most Clsc nurses can request Igg and surface antigen/antibody serology because the clsc follows the immunization protocols which also should include the hep B vaccine for free under some hospital worker/healthcare student program. 

When I did it originally in 2019, I didn't pay anything and the nurse (BScN) did everything from the serology request, TST, immunizations that I didn't have documents for. 

I called my local clsc yesterday and got an apt with less than 14 days wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another question on my part:

As per indicated on the Office of Admissions website, “[a]ll students admitted into the program must submit official transcripts from all universities listed in their Minerva account”. 

I’ve indeed noticed that my Minerva checklist has been updated with new entries associated with my degrees’ transcripts. However, each of them reads “Not yet received/processed” with no possibilities for me to actually upload a document. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

 

[Update]: I have to ask each institution from which I graduated to directly send McGill University my official final transcript. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MedicA1 said:

Yet another question on my part:

As per indicated on the Office of Admissions website, “[a]ll students admitted into the program must submit official transcripts from all universities listed in their Minerva account”. 

I’ve indeed noticed that my Minerva checklist has been updated with new entries associated with my degrees’ transcripts. However, each of them reads “Not yet received/processed” with no possibilities for me to actually upload a document. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

That's normal, since you wouldn't be submitting them yourself. You have to request an official transcript from your home institution to be sent to McGill (in whatever way your institution is doing that these days). The checklist will update once they receive and process the transcript. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

About the transcripts;

I see on Minerva "Official University Transcript" and "Final Official Univ Transcript / Admissions office use only". Do these mean we're supposed to send our transcript only when our final grades are out, that we can do it now, or both? A bit confused here...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MK. said:

About the transcripts;

I see on Minerva "Official University Transcript" and "Final Official Univ Transcript / Admissions office use only". Do these mean we're supposed to send our transcript only when our final grades are out, that we can do it now, or both? A bit confused here...

I forgot what exactly was on Minerva at the time for me, but I waited until the final grades were out and my degree was officially conferred (and marked as such on my transcript) before sending them an official copy. Sending them before final grades are out is sort of pointless, since you'll need to send them again once grades are out and degree is conferred. I did not send it earlier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KitKatCo said:

I forgot what exactly was on Minerva at the time for me, but I waited until the final grades were out and my degree was officially conferred (and marked as such on my transcript) before sending them an official copy. Sending them before final grades are out is sort of pointless, since you'll need to send them again once grades are out and degree is conferred. I did not send it earlier. 

Do you remember the mailing address that you sent it to? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alysse212 said:

Do you remember the mailing address that you sent it to? 

Office of Admissions, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, McGill University 1010 Sherbrooke St. W., Suite 1230 Montreal, QC, CANADA  H3A 2R7

It's hidden away in this webpage: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/elements/transcripts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions.

I was wondering if those on the waitlist should be sending in their transcripts already though they don't appear on Minerva (I am #1 on the OOP waitlist but have some transcripts to send from outside of Canada so it normally takes up to a couple months).

Also, does anyone know how old your one step TBT can be? I got a two step test 2 years ago and another one step test this past November and I want to make sure that will be sufficient!

Thanks you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WaitingGame123 said:

I was wondering if those on the waitlist should be sending in their transcripts already though they don't appear on Minerva (I am #1 on the OOP waitlist but have some transcripts to send from outside of Canada so it normally takes up to a couple months).

The Office of Admissions website: "Please do not send official records until we request them."  --> https://www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/preparing-your-documents

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I have a question regarding my transcripts to ! I'm currently doing my master's degree at another university, I already sent my transcripts regarding my bachelor degree since I finished my bachelor degree last year. I was wondering do I have to send both ? or only the transcripts regarding my bachelor degree is fine ? Thank you :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...