Premed 101 Forums

May 11 Countdown Party 2021!

On 4/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, Scrubadubdub said:

How accurate do you all think post-interview feelings are? 

If the thoughts that commonly pop up in my brain were accurate assessments of my performance in any life domain, I'd be a complete failure. I don't trust that guy anymore.

That being said, all my post-interview feelings are "eh", so I'm hoping this isn't the first time my brain is right!

From what I've read elsewhere, it seems like several people felt like the feelings they had after their interviews weren't necessarily predictive of their results, so I'm banking on that too haha

On 4/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, microglia said:

anyone else in exams rn kinda feeling like it doesn't matter but also SO SCARED BC IT REALLY DOES

Hi its me :p this semester has honesty been SUCH a shitshow due to stress but also a little lack of motivation bc it may not matter but I also dont wanna mess up my chances for next year ahhh

23 hours ago, newmy88 said:

How is everyone doing? Ontario’s pretty scary right now so I’m finding it hard to find things to do to occupy the time...

This thread has been viewed 3k times, pretty sure at least 2k of those views are mine. Lol.

I am not doing well. I have zero focus. 

COME ON MAY 11

Hey guys,

M-1 here. was in your spot a year ago (pandemic and everything), stay strong!!! what helped me was to focus on school and pick up some sort of hobby. i started to walk long distances while listening to podcasts (like 2 hour treks to random neighbourhoods at night no joke) and also watched some random animes here and there. unfortunately though,  i do confirm no matter what you do your impulsive email and OMSAS checking will get worse (a lotttt worse)

all the best my friends!!!

1 minute ago, Gazoo4242 said:

Yes what was the deal with the buttons? I've seen talk about the buttons in past threads, but couldn't really decipher what the button actually was! Was it an accept/reject offer button or what?

a bunch of interviewees randomly saw the "Send Response" button on their OMSAS portal the day before the D-day, which usually wouldn't appear until you actually have offer(s) to respond to. This was obviously before any offers were made available on OMSAS.

This appeared to be school-specific as people who interviewed at Ottawa only didn't have any buttons regardless of their outcome, while at Mac it seemed to be associated with lower stats and eventual rejection/waitlist (but then again they lotterized *most* of their class last year so who knows).

At other schools like UofT, Queen's and UWO, the button didn't seem to mean anything in the end.

Yeah far as I could figure the "Reset Responses" button only related to Mac somehow, and I think most/all of the people who had it ended up waitlisted there. It was a really weird bug, because like @DrOtter said that's only supposed to show up when you have an offer to respond to, after they've been released on D-day. Ended up being a real gut punch to the folks who got the R after having the button, on top of the lottery shenanigans and everything, really felt for em. But I hear this year's process hasn't been much better hahaha

12 hours ago, DrOtter said:

a bunch of interviewees randomly saw the "Send Response" button on their OMSAS portal the day before the D-day, which usually wouldn't appear until you actually have offer(s) to respond to. This was obviously before any offers were made available on OMSAS.

This appeared to be school-specific as people who interviewed at Ottawa only didn't have any buttons regardless of their outcome, while at Mac it seemed to be associated with lower stats and eventual rejection/waitlist (but then again they lotterized *most* of their class last year so who knows).

At other schools like UofT, Queen's and UWO, the button didn't seem to mean anything in the end.

Ah DrOtter, I remember you were on the front lines in that thread. hope all is going well in ottawa!!!

On 4/20/2021 at 1:06 AM, sanoori said:

Hey guys,

M-1 here. was in your spot a year ago (pandemic and everything), stay strong!!! what helped me was to focus on school and pick up some sort of hobby. i started to walk long distances while listening to podcasts (like 2 hour treks to random neighbourhoods at night no joke) and also watched some random animes here and there. unfortunately though,  i do confirm no matter what you do your impulsive email and OMSAS checking will get worse (a lotttt worse)

all the best my friends!!!

Hey! I do the same thing (not at night tho lol too scared) but I ran out of podcasts to listen to! Went through a Crime Junkie phase, Ologies with Alie Ward, TEDdaily - any recommendations?

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed your first year :) 

23 minutes ago, nishdoc said:

17 days to go! But who’s counting :lol:

How many people here are first time applicants vs seasoned? 

Seasoned for me, unfortunately. I’m hoping third try is the charm! Was Waitlisted at Ottawa last year after it being my only interview. I’m getting really anxious about May 11th because I know how hard waiting out the waitlist was last year.... but I’ll take waitlists over rejections any day :P just hoping for some better news this year because I’m not sure I’ll survive a fourth application cycle haha 

8 hours ago, newmy88 said:

Seasoned for me, unfortunately. I’m hoping third try is the charm! Was Waitlisted at Ottawa last year after it being my only interview. I’m getting really anxious about May 11th because I know how hard waiting out the waitlist was last year.... but I’ll take waitlists over rejections any day :P just hoping for some better news this year because I’m not sure I’ll survive a fourth application cycle haha 

I'm also seasoned and I feel the exact same way. I'm in the same situation, but with Western (waitlisted last year and it was my only interview). :) Hopefully it works out this year!

11 hours ago, cbz said:

Seasoned here. Last applied before I started grad school.

Now that I'm done (defended my PhD yesterday!!) I got nothing left to distract me from counting down xD

Congrats! I'm writing my MSc thesis right now. Managed to write a whopping 1 page today lmao... I need to find that spark to write. 

45 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Fingers crossed :D I love seeing familiar usernames. :) @Mozza yours as well!

We're almost at the 2 week mark :ph34r: What's everyone got planned for these last 2 weeks? 

I can’t believe it’s been a year since we had to go through the waitlist experience together last year :’) I’m hoping for good news for everyone!!