Premed 101 Forums

May 11 Countdown Party 2021!

12 hours ago, Premedwithadream said:

Does anyone know what % of people get off the Mac waitlist?

I just want to know how to react if I see that WL on May 11

The size of the waitlist at McMaster is tough to predict. However, it seems reasonable to me that in a cycle they accept 200, WL 200, and reject the rest. So if the WL is 200 deep, then there is about a 50% chance to be accepted off the WL 

1 hour ago, gliostudies said:

Is anybody else just gradually getting less and less confident as May 11th approaches? I was very confident post-interview but all of that confidence is gone now and I'm just feeling a slow-burn torture lol 

Yes!! This is exactly how I feel. Glad to hear I'm not alone, but wish we could feel better. Hang in there, we got this!!

17 hours ago, Premedwithadream said:

Does anyone know what % of people get off the Mac waitlist?

I just want to know how to react if I see that WL on May 11

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

To add to what MDWoman said - This document might help out :) 

In terms of being accepted off of the waitlist I think it would depend on how many people are on the waitlist itself. It seems like around 115-130 people get off of the waitlist most years. I think like MDWoman said, around 50% sounds like a good estimate. :)

Some good news though from page 43 & 44: for the 2018/19 cycle McMaster made 206 offers and 126 people declined their seat so 332 total offers / 552 interviewees = around a 60% chance post-interview for getting accepted (correct me if I'm wrong, i can be overly simplistic with these numbers) 

Are there any factors that could affect that 60%? or different pools for in-province vs. out of province? 

4 hours ago, gliostudies said:

Is anybody else just gradually getting less and less confident as May 11th approaches? I was very confident post-interview but all of that confidence is gone now and I'm just feeling a slow-burn torture lol 

YES! I felt great the day of, but now I keep thinking everything that came out of my mouth was pure nonsense... I'm just trying to focus on the couple times when the interviewers laughed at my jokes to stay sane :)

17 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

To add to what MDWoman said - This document might help out :) 

In terms of being accepted off of the waitlist I think it would depend on how many people are on the waitlist itself. It seems like around 115-130 people get off of the waitlist most years. I think like MDWoman said, around 50% sounds like a good estimate. :)

Some good news though from page 43 & 44: for the 2018/19 cycle McMaster made 206 offers and 126 people declined their seat so 332 total offers / 552 interviewees = around a 60% chance post-interview for getting accepted (correct me if I'm wrong, i can be overly simplistic with these numbers) 

Are there any factors that could affect that 60%? or different pools for in-province vs. out of province? 

They had 600 interviewees this year though, so it's closer to 50% now.

As to IP/OOP, that only matter for getting the interview. From here on out its just 15% GPA, 15% CARS, 70% MMI.

Oh and a lot of luck.

42 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

Oh and a lot of luck.

Preach. Really the biggest factor in admissions in this province lol.

18 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Are there any factors that could affect that 60%?

I don’t have numbers on this, but last year I heard from quite a few people through word of mouth that they were leaning away from Mac, and this year (so far) I’ve heard the same, so there might be a bit more movement than usual on their wait list. I’m sure the poorly run interview process over the last two years has something to do with it, but when I was considering Mac last year I talked directly with at least one Mac student (now a second year) who pretty explicitly recommended I go elsewhere if I had the choice. I got the sense that it was due to how Mac was handling teaching and lack of faculty responsiveness to student feedback during the pandemic, but it’s hard to say for sure. Just food for thought for those who end up with a choice on the 11th, not to put a damper on things for those with their hearts set on Mac!

21 hours ago, gliostudies said:

ya ! 2nd guessing all my responses on day 1  post-interview has morphed into a nightmare of gruesome introspection. Day 1 I congratulated myself on how witty my response was that made the panel laugh. Day 2 ..they weren't laughing they were snickering, you weren't even funny. Today, they were sneering at my feeble attempt at a mistimed lame joke arrrggggg 

14 hours ago, TheFlyGuy said:

Preach. Really the biggest factor in admissions in this province lol.

I don’t have numbers on this, but last year I heard from quite a few people through word of mouth that they were leaning away from Mac, and this year (so far) I’ve heard the same, so there might be a bit more movement than usual on their wait list. I’m sure the poorly run interview process over the last two years has something to do with it, but when I was considering Mac last year I talked directly with at least one Mac student (now a second year) who pretty explicitly recommended I go elsewhere if I had the choice. I got the sense that it was due to how Mac was handling teaching and lack of faculty responsiveness to student feedback during the pandemic, but it’s hard to say for sure. Just food for thought for those who end up with a choice on the 11th, not to put a damper on things for those with their hearts set on Mac!

Wow, that's really interesting. I thought that Mac would be more popular. :confused: I saw a poll on the premedcanada redd!t yesterday asking applicants with multiple interviews what their top choice OMSAS is - 236 said Toronto, 106 said Mac and then Ottawa, Western and Queens all had similar numbers around ~55. 

I guess those numbers are not too far apart from each other, but I thought it was interesting to see that U of T and Mac seem like the top 2 according to that.

It would be interesting to see if their interview process/pandemic handling actually does end up affecting peoples decisions after May 11!

7 hours ago, justamom said:

ya ! 2nd guessing all my responses on day 1  post-interview has morphed into a nightmare of gruesome introspection. Day 1 I congratulated myself on how witty my response was that made the panel laugh. Day 2 ..they weren't laughing they were snickering, you weren't even funny. Today, they were sneering at my feeble attempt at a mistimed lame joke arrrggggg 

Same here. Gosh. I remember coming out of interview feeling all pumped up about May. Now I'm like. pls. just tell me I did ok xDD

Personally, I'm a proud member of the "I am going to lose my mind before May 11th" squad :)

On that note, has anyone been following waitlist movements over the past few years for ontario schools? I feel like, in general, there seemed to be less waitlist movement last year, but I could be completely wrong as I'm basing this solely on the few threads I've dug through from the last few years.

Two weeks from now we’ll know! We’re getting there slowly but surely :) I’ve been trying to keep myself busy to help ease the anxiety - luckily I’ve been able to work full time even through the pandemic so that helps plus now that it’s getting nicer I’ve been going on a lot of walks! 

I hope everyone is also doing well and hanging in there! What have y’all been up to? 

21 hours ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Wow, that's really interesting. I thought that Mac would be more popular. :confused: I saw a poll on the premedcanada redd!t yesterday asking applicants with multiple interviews what their top choice OMSAS is - 232 said Toronto, 105 said Mac and then Ottawa, Western and Queens all had similar numbers around ~55. 

I guess those numbers are not too far apart from each other, but I thought it was interesting to see that U of T and Mac seem like the top 2 according to that.

I didn't interview at Mac, but I did hear about all the problems they had around interviews this year. It would be interesting to see if their interview process/pandemic handling actually does end up affecting peoples decisions after May 11!

Interesting! I would be interested to compare those numbers to prior years; I know a lot of people gun for Mac due to the shorter length of the program (which is both good and bad), so even though it's still a popular choice I wonder if it's up or down relative to past cycles. 

5 hours ago, pre-med 12344321 said:

anyone else feeling oddly calm? i thought i’d be a wreck with only 2 weeks to go ... but i’m not? 

I fluctuate so much :mellow:. For the most part I'm like you, feeling oddly calm.... but then I also have moments where I start thinking about the decision on May 11 too much and my interview performance and then I'm like 

200.gif

2 hours ago, justamom said:

What's keeping me sane right now is the prospect of reaching page 4 on this thread. I think it's an achievable ambition, even if I have post to myself for a while, but seriously it keeps me motivated to get out bed in the morning, aside from my full-time job that kinda demands that too. 

giphy.gif