Premed 101 Forums

May 11 Countdown Party 2021!

Hey guys,

This might be a really silly post but I logged onto OMSAS today and under the offers/choices tab, I feel like the "response" column was added recently. I feel like when I logged in yesterday, I only had 3 columns" offer of admission / medical school / action. I'm assuming it's just a regular update and I am overanalyzing :lol:

1641251467_ScreenShot2021-05-04at8_28_24PM.thumb.png.044b801ecef7a861e177cf38db134dab.png

1 minute ago, bhaggy said:

Hey guys,

This might be a really silly post but I logged onto OMSAS today and under the offers/choices tab, I feel like the "response" column was added recently. I feel like when I logged in yesterday, I only had 3 columns" offer of admission / medical school / action. I'm assuming it's just a regular update and I am overanalyzing :lol:

1641251467_ScreenShot2021-05-04at8_28_24PM.thumb.png.044b801ecef7a861e177cf38db134dab.png

I have the same thing! It definitely wasn't there yesterday

18 minutes ago, bhaggy said:

Hey guys,

I have it too! but I don't know if it was there before or not. I wish I had a screenshot of it from earlier. does anyone NOT have the "response" column?

On 5/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, TheFlyGuy said:

A screenshot might help for people who are familiar with the page to ID it, but is this what you're seeing by chance? I don't recall that red box being part of last year's shenanigans (I don't think? Someone can feel free to correct me here, but I think everyone gets it), but the "Reset Responses" button was the one responsible for #ButtonGate haha 

image.png

I also had this red box with the button. I did not interview at mac but did at ottawa. What does this mean #buttongate.

1 minute ago, Thefirem4ster said:

It’s safe to assume we all have that column. They have to tell you if you’re gonna be R/WL/A. I wish everyone the best of luck this week

but wouldn't R/WL/A be under "offer" and not "response"? the response one must be for people to accept their offers. ugh I'm reading too much into this

Yeah I have the "Response" column as well. I was waitlisted last year and WL/R info was not shown on OMSAS (only communicated via email). I can't remember if I had this column last year, or this cycle before today, but I wouldn't read into it too much as it seems everyone who has posted so far has it.  

4 minutes ago, Thefirem4ster said:

It’s safe to assume we all have that column. They have to tell you if you’re gonna be R/WL/A. I wish everyone the best of luck this week

OMSAS only updates if you are accepted, they don't tell you if you are waitlisted or rejected! At least that's how it's been in the past. So if you are accepted, you will see an update under the offer of admission column and if you are waitlisted/rejected, you will see nothing.

12 minutes ago, bhaggy said:

OMSAS only updates if you are accepted, they don't tell you if you are waitlisted or rejected! At least that's how it's been in the past. So if you are accepted, you will see an update under the offer of admission column and if you are waitlisted/rejected, you will see nothing.

So this column only shows up if you are getting an acceptance?

Just now, Thefirem4ster said:

So this column only shows up if you are getting an acceptance?

Hmm unless OMSAS eventually shows "Rejected/Waitlisted" or something on OMSAS? :wacko:

Is the response column so that schools can see you've accepted your offer/rejected your offer and respond back with "confirmed" or something on omsas? 

What would the point be if you don't end up getting any offers though :wacko: I can see them adding this to every applicants OMSAS because its just easier but it seems like the response column is only relevant for those with offers.

Could be entirely wrong though. what do you all think the purpose of the response column is in general?

6 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Hmm unless OMSAS eventually shows "Rejected/Waitlisted" or something on OMSAS? :wacko:

Is the response column so that schools can see you've accepted your offer/rejected your offer and respond back with "confirmed" or something on omsas? 

What would the point be if you don't end up getting any offers though :wacko: I can see them adding this to every applicants OMSAS because its just easier but it seems like the response column is only relevant for those with offers.

Could be entirely wrong though. what do you all think the purpose of the response column is in general?

Yea. It’s just easier to assume everyone has it. Any med students know what happened in previous years?

12 minutes ago, hooper100 said:

I was excited I had it for 2 seconds but I found this post from a while ago, https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.**DELETED**.com/r/premedcanada/comments/j565na/red_box_on_omsas_application_under_the/ 

Seems like it’s always been there and we missed it? Oh well, was a fun little conspiracy party :D

haha I guess I was so focused on the offer of admissions column this whole time that the response one just went over my head :lol:

yes was fun while it lasted :D 

1 hour ago, reginageorge said:

do offer letters appear on omsas at midnight of the 11th? or does it just say Offer?

Check this post earlier. From previous threads it seems that OMSAS only changes if there is an offer, but not WL/R. So for those waiting for Mac, only getting A would mean an updated OMSAS at midnight I assume...

On 5/2/2021 at 2:06 AM, Scrubadubdub said:

I'm with you all, I felt pretty good immediately after my interview and I've been bummed/ambivalent ever since. I think the ambivalence is my brain trying to protect me haha. I've been rejected before and now I can't imagine myself getting in despite not having any big mess ups in my interview :mellow:

Soooo I had some time to kill and I compiled a list of when offers came up on OMSAS and when emails were sent out on decision day last year lol :P It probably fluctuates and changes every year but I guess this gives us a good ball park. 

McMaster:

• OMSAS updated @ 12 am
  • Accepted emails @ 8:03-8:10 am
  • Waitlist emails @ 8:15-8:18 am
  • Rejected emails @ ???

Western:

• Student Centre updated @ 12 am
  • OMSAS did not update before e-mails went out?
  • Accepted emails @ 8:49-9:04 am
  • Waitlist emails @ 9:04-10:45 am
  • Rejected emails at ??

University of Toronto:

• OMSAS updated @ 6 am 
  • Accepted/Rejected Emails all together @ 8:53-9:59 am 
  • Waitlist emails a little later @ 10:30 am 

Ottawa:

• Accepted emails @ 6:40-7:07 am 
  • Waitlist emails @ 7:19-7:54 am 
  • Rejected emails @ ???
  • OMSAS did not update before e-mails went out

NOSM:

• OMSAS updated before 7:30 am 
  • Accepted emails around 7:30 am
  • Rejected emails @ 8:19-8:31 am

Queens:

• All emails @ ~ 9:33 am
  • OMSAS did not update before e-mails went out

It seems like rejected emails either come out at the same time as accepted emails or they come out shortly afterwards.

*All times are in eastern standard time

39 minutes ago, ImReadyNextCycle said:

Check this post earlier. From previous threads it seems that OMSAS only changes if there is an offer, but not WL/R. So for those waiting for Mac, only getting A would mean an updated OMSAS at midnight I assume...

Huge kudos to the person who went through and gathered this info!

I think Queen's might update in OMSAS at midnight. In 2019, there were people on here that posted that it changed at for them at midnight and then confirmed it when the emails went out in the AM. In 2020, the only people that posted on here about it did not have a change in OMSAS at midnight. If you scroll later in the thread though, they were waitlisted so OMSAS would not have updated for them. 

36 minutes ago, morgmorgmorg said:

what did the reset button mean? 

I literally had nightmares last night about all these conspiracy theories lmao

There was a button that showed up last year if you interviewed at McMaster called "Reset choices". Now that button is technically only supposed to show up if you are given an offer at an OMSAS school.

However, last year if you had the button show up on OMSAS and you interviewed at McMaster, that meant that you either got WL or R. Those that did not have the button and also had a McMaster interview were offered acceptances on May 12 2020