Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to April 20th

2 hours ago, coolguy420 said:

out of curiosity, has Western had this problem before? Just wondering if rising numbers of unmatched is a trend or something out of the blue this year where the process has been so different

Western usually do decently in CARMS.

What's concerning is they have never sent this email out before in the past, AFAIK. 

1 hour ago, CaRMS2021 said:

When do we find out national statistics? 

A list of unmatched positions goes up right away after the match to help for second round. For instance match day 2020 was March 3 and unfilled positions were posted same day, same with the unfilled positions after second round. A "data snapshot" was posted the day of the second round match, with basic overall match rates. Two days after that they posted a "CaRMS Forum" with some basic charts and tables. The full data was posted 2 months later, on June 16.

6 hours ago, coolguy420 said:

out of curiosity, has Western had this problem before? Just wondering if rising numbers of unmatched is a trend or something out of the blue this year where the process has been so different

Did a quick table of unmatched rate by school for the last 5 years. This is percentage of current year graduates who matched in the first round of CaRMS.

bEjHgpg.png

6CmeLgN.png

As you can see, there are no obvious trends, at least over 5 years. Schools have good years and bad years. Western is fairly middle of the pack last 2 years. Its really hard to take much away from these data, as based on this, NOSM is far away the best school in the country, and McGill medical school is hot garbage, but I don't know how accurate that is in all domains ;)

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

Did a quick table of unmatched rate by school for the last 5 years. This is percentage of current year graduates who matched in the first round of CaRMS.

bEjHgpg.png

6CmeLgN.png

As you can see, there are no obvious trends, at least over 5 years. Schools have good years and bad years. Western is fairly middle of the pack last 2 years. Its really hard to take much away from these data, as based on this, NOSM is far away the best school in the country, and McGill medical school is hot garbage, but I don't know how accurate that is in all domains ;)

Haha you can see the massive improvement last year is from mcgill finally realizing schools favour their own as opposed to “favouring the best” and leading to an improvement in match rate. Most matched to mcgill or within the province hence the drop in unmatched rate. 

2 hours ago, bearded frog said:

bEjHgpg.png

6CmeLgN.png

That's awesome, thank you! We can always count on the hairy frog for top quality statistical analyses :D

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

Haha you can see the massive improvement last year is from mcgill finally realizing schools favour their own as opposed to “favouring the best” and leading to an improvement in match rate. Most matched to mcgill or within the province hence the drop in unmatched rate. 

What were they doing before? Not applying to McGill/QC? 

2 hours ago, CaRMS2021 said:

What were they doing before? Not applying to McGill/QC? 

Nono always were but other programs (from my sources) were instructed to take their own due to the unmatched crisis vs McGill was taking “the best candidates”. Last year they were instructed to “take their own” to have an improved match rate (which happened). 

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

Nono always were but other programs (from my sources) were instructed to take their own due to the unmatched crisis vs McGill was taking “the best candidates”. Last year they were instructed to “take their own” to have an improved match rate (which happened). 

damn as someone who didn't interview at my home school and wants to go out of province, this is stressful haha

30 minutes ago, anotheranon said:

damn as someone who didn't interview at my home school and wants to go out of province, this is stressful haha

It’s not a hard and fast rule! It’s just general as has always been. Your best odds are at your own school normally. But don’t fret. Plus like 3 more days. 

9 hours ago, bearded frog said:

bEjHgpg.png

6CmeLgN.png

The unmatched % in the first round is alarming at McGill... I hope the "favouring your own" is there to stay! 

51 minutes ago, Haribo7173 said:

Doubt.

LOL I really don’t remember getting into med school being like this.

I guess because this feels (and is?) a lot more definitive.

We've put in all this hard work and racked up debt. The stakes feel higher. It's also (for most of us) the final defining step hopefully towards our desired career. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out how we planned, but it sure can feel that way at times.

23 minutes ago, aray623 said:

I posted earlier saying I was pretty chill about all this....

I am no longer chill.

Sameeeee 100%! I was so chill until yesterday when I heard through the grapevine that my #1 choice is really popular this year. 

The chill-ness is now gone. :(

Less than 3 days, friends!