Premed 101 Forums

Misunderstanding interview question-death sentence?

Hey, so during my interview i misunderstood a question that was posed to me. The panelists asked if that’s all I would like to add and then I realized that the question they asked was different. I apologized and then Continued to answer my question properly. Just beating myself up over this. Is this really a death sentence for the interview? I felt good overall but this has been bothering me ever since the interview finished.

thanks!

2 hours ago, PRO_line said:

Hey, so during my interview i misunderstood a question that was posed to me. The panelists asked if that’s all I would like to add and then I realized that the question they asked was different. I apologized and then Continued to answer my question properly. Just beating myself up over this. Is this really a death sentence for the interview? I felt good overall but this has been bothering me ever since the interview finished.

thanks!

I think recognizing that you misunderstood a question and correcting it is the best possible outcome if you're going to misinterpret a question in an interview. It can also show that you are reflective and able to correct errors. It's hard to say how any group of people will evaluate that exactly, but I would highly doubt that's a death sentence. It happens to everyone at some point.

It's also totally normal to ruminate after an interview. Try to allow yourself to feel a bit anxious and recognize that's okay, and that you've done your best in that moment and now the control is out of your hands (I know that's not what most people like to hear, but recognizing where you cannot control things really does help you let go). Try to enjoy your free time for now and don't let yourself ruminate excessively! Good luck!

Yeah that makes sense and I think this was just and instance of me over analyzing and harshly critiquing my interview for no reason haha. I truly do understand now why people hate the wait cuz all that seems to be coming to my mind is “darn, I should have said this?” I guess that is normal to overanalyze but going to try and keep myself busy. It is definitely out of my control now. 

Thanks for helping calm my anxiety, I really appreciate it!

39 minutes ago, PRO_line said:

Yeah that makes sense and I think this was just and instance of me over analyzing and harshly critiquing my interview for no reason haha. I truly do understand now why people hate the wait cuz all that seems to be coming to my mind is “darn, I should have said this?” I guess that is normal to overanalyze but going to try and keep myself busy. It is definitely out of my control now. 

Thanks for helping calm my anxiety, I really appreciate it!

I totally get it, I am in the same boat right now but with CaRMS interviews just having finished. The waiting is not fun and we can only just try to keep busy in the meantime. Hope it all works out!

Apologizing and recognizing you misunderstood is a way better approach than pretending nothing happened. Shows integrity imho. Sounds like you have nothing to worry about in regards to how you handled this question!