Premed 101 Forums

35 minutes ago, MC0203 said:

Thanks for starting this! 

According to their email I am HWL and I plan on accepting. Does anybody know the odds of getting in off HWL? Are you pretty much guaranteed a spot? 

I think in one year the HWL was cleared but in other years they didn't get through everyone. I am wondering how many people are placed on HWL

6 minutes ago, toothy23 said:

@MC0203 When did you email them and how long did it take for them to get back to you? I emailed yesterday morning and still haven’t received a reply. How did you word your email? 

I emailed them yesterday morning (literally 8am lol) and I got a reply around 2. I just asked if they could give me information about my waitlist position and I included my OUAC ref number. They are probably overwhelmed with emails but hopefully you get a reply today!

14 minutes ago, Makarzo said:

Just curious as a future applicant, what were you stats?

DAT: 25RC/22AA/20PAT

GPA: not sure as I am OOP and not confident about how the conversion works but ~3.8/4 

Interview: I think it went well but I was a little upset that I finished early, but I know see that most applicants finished early as well. 

Hope this helps!

@Unknown54654 and @MC0203 sounds good, according to that I'm probably mid weight listed. 

I have a theory and it'd be nice to get people's opinion on it. In previous years the UWO interview was after U of T acceptances were given out. Many people that got accepted to U of T informed UWO that they are accepting U of T's offer. So, UWO would replace those potential interviewers with new ones. However, this year UWO interviews were before U of T acceptances were out. Based on this, there might be more waitlist movement because people might be declining their UWO acceptances and wait list positions in favour of U of T. So, there might be more movement. Potentially though, people will be denying their U of T acceptances for UWO. So, it's just a theory, I don't know if it'll be accurate or anything. Who really knows, there are no guarantees.

Thanks for any information and I wish the best of luck to everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Akira Grey said:

@Unknown54654 and @MC0203 sounds good, according to that I'm probably mid weight listed. 

I have a theory and it'd be nice to get people's opinion on it. In previous years the UWO interview was after U of T acceptances were given out. Many people that got accepted to U of T informed UWO that they are accepting U of T's offer. So, UWO would replace those potential interviewers with new ones. However, this year UWO interviews were before U of T acceptances were out. Based on this, there might be more waitlist movement because people might be declining their UWO acceptances and wait list positions in favour of U of T. So, there might be more movement. Potentially though, people will be denying their U of T acceptances for UWO. So, it's just a theory, I don't know if it'll be accurate or anything. Who really knows, there are no guarantees.

I like this theory!! Hoping we all hear good news :)

1 hour ago, Akira Grey said:

I was thinking the exact same thing!! Good luck!

15 hours ago, MC0203 said:

Thanks for starting this! 

According to their email I am HWL and I plan on accepting. Does anybody know the odds of getting in off HWL? Are you pretty much guaranteed a spot? 

Hey! I just took a look at your profile and it seems like you've also been accepted to UofT. I'm just wondering what reasons you have to want to go to Western over UofT (just out of curiosity)? 

@afsdfagsd Hey! Yes I did get into UofT as well! :) My main reasons for wanting to go to Western are to be closer to home and save a lot of $ not living in Toronto. I also love the small class size at Western and I've heard their facilities are great! I've also been told you get to practice a lot more complex cases in upper years since there are fewer specialty programs at UWO. I think both schools are great and have their pros and cons and no matter where I end up I will be grateful and excited! :) 

4 hours ago, MC0203 said:

@afsdfagsd Hey! Yes I did get into UofT as well! :) My main reasons for wanting to go to Western are to be closer to home and save a lot of $ not living in Toronto. I also love the small class size at Western and I've heard their facilities are great! I've also been told you get to practice a lot more complex cases in upper years since there are fewer specialty programs at UWO. I think both schools are great and have their pros and cons and no matter where I end up I will be grateful and excited! :) 

I am in the exact same boat - accepted to UofT and on the HWL, and I plan to accept Western if offered for similar reasons as you.

@toothy23 I'm not entirely sure the exact days, but I'm assuming people will start being called on the HWL this month. It's been 7 days, so the wait list acceptance deadline is over. So, I'm assuming they'd start calling this or next week. The other major movement happens after med school acceptances, which are on May 11. I think med school students have around 2 weeks to make a decision on where they want to go for school. I'm assuming some people will decline their UWO DDS acceptances in preference for med school. Movement from there on is relatively slow and random.

Hopefully that helps, but a lot of this is assumptions from what has happened during the last years.

16 minutes ago, Stalemate said:

This is a controversial comment, but after looking into the students who have been accepted the last number of years (including this one) I have confirmed what many people have said to me, that in attempts to be more diverse, dental programs have swung so far that very few white students are accepted.  With what I thought was a great hard won GPA (94), good DAT scores, research, lots of volunteer work and clubs, and what I felt was a strong interview - I got nothing....  Feeling quite disheartened  

Can you confirm that you're assuming minority and historically underprivileged groups cannot enter into professional programs on merit alone?

Can you also clarify who 'many people' are, or is this a result of being surrounded by an echo chamber of likeminded people? 

I'm all for a debate but bigoted statements masked by broad generalizations has no place in this conversation

27 minutes ago, Stalemate said:

This is a controversial comment, but after looking into the students who have been accepted the last number of years (including this one) I have confirmed what many people have said to me, that in attempts to be more diverse, dental programs have swung so far that very few white students are accepted.  With what I thought was a great hard won GPA (94), good DAT scores, research, lots of volunteer work and clubs, and what I felt was a strong interview - I got nothing....  Feeling quite disheartened  

if this isin't a troll I can already confirm your interview was not as "strong as you felt" ..