Premed 101 Forums

14 minutes ago, listed said:

Can you confirm that you're assuming minority and historically underprivileged groups cannot enter into professional programs on merit alone?

Can you also clarify who 'many people' are, or is this a result of being surrounded by an echo chamber of likeminded people? 

I'm all for a debate but bigoted statements masked by broad generalizations has no place in this conversation

I’m not a bigot or a troll at all.  This is a conversation.  Unfortunately it seems to be reverse racism but no one is comfortable talking about it.  These aren’t broad generalizations.  Lots of minority students have excellent credentials.  However the student make up would have you believe that very few “white students” (not knowing anything other than race) either apply or also have the merit to be accepted. Go look at the class lists and this years acceptances.  I get it that traditionally underrepresented groups deserve equal opportunities.  100%!!!  I would not want it any other way.  

17 minutes ago, Stalemate said:

I’m not a bigot or a troll at all.  This is a conversation.  Unfortunately it seems to be reverse racism but no one is comfortable talking about it.  These aren’t broad generalizations.  Lots of minority students have excellent credentials.  However the student make up would have you believe that very few “white students” (not knowing anything other than race) either apply or also have the merit to be accepted. Go look at the class lists and this years acceptances.  I get it that traditionally underrepresented groups deserve equal opportunities.  100%!!!  I would not want it any other way.  

You state that this is racism but I fail to see how there is antagonism towards historically privileged groups. We do not call equitable action towards underprivileged discrimination against the privileged. That is akin to saying any charitable action is discriminatory towards the latter. 

You state that these are not broad generalizations but say go look at the class lists and this years acceptances. Please show me where you are seeing validated race-based demographics for this years cycle. Please also show me a scenario where non-white students are admitted at an increased rate than white students, credentials being equal. You are sadly, once again, generalizing with no quantitative evidence. 

I get it that traditionally underrepresented groups deserve equal opportunities.  100%!!!  I would not want it any other way.  

I don't think you really do get it and I hope this discussion sparks some curiosity into why this ideology further perpetuates divides in our community. Nevertheless, I'm glad you somewhat recognize people deserve equal (equitable would be preferable) opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, listed said:

You state that this is racism but I fail to see how there is antagonism towards historically privileged groups. We do not call equitable action towards underprivileged discrimination against the privileged. That is akin to saying any charitable action is discriminatory towards the latter. 

You state that these are not broad generalizations but say go look at the class lists and this years acceptances. Please show me where you are seeing validated race-based demographics for this years cycle. Please also show me a scenario where non-white students are admitted at an increased rate than white students, credentials being equal. You are sadly, once again, generalizing with no quantitative evidence. 

I don't think you really do get it and I hope this discussion sparks some curiosity into why this ideology further perpetuates divides in our community. Nevertheless, I'm glad you somewhat recognize people deserve equal (equitable would be preferable) opportunities. 

Believe me I get it.  I have had a rich and thorough anti oppression education.  I am also from a minority background, as minorities come in many forms. Antagonism towards any group is wrong. What I am seeing may not be truly defined as racism, however, it is still discrimination.  “Equitable access” is the right thing and we should make sure we have representation as diverse as our beautiful country. Unfortunately, I am not seeing that here, and this has been going on for some time.  Lots of amazing candidates are getting in for sure!  But lots of amazing candidates are complaining that they don’t seem to have the same chance these days.

3 hours ago, Carson K said:

I just got off the HWL today!

3 hours ago, toothy23 said:

Just got the call as well, got off HWL today!

3 hours ago, shiron said:

Same here!! Got a call today and got off the waitlist as well!!

1 hour ago, Gandalfthegrey said:

Got a call today high waitlist. Accepting! 

Congrats!! I also got a call around noon. Did anyones status on student center update yet? Mine still hasnt changed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just looking for fellow UWO hopefuls to help me out.

-What would a 3.965 GPA be in %? The OMSAS indicates 4.0 is 100, but people here have said 4.0 is 95? 

-what is the bonus that UWO gives applicants who have already graduated 

-are all DAT scores treated the same across years? I have a 20AA,19PAT,18RC which isn’t great, but 21AA was the average for acceptance a few years back. 20AA is a 65%ish percentile, which I feel is too low to be counted as average score for acceptance. 
- is there a particular weight given to each component of the DAT? Is AA more important? 

So, medical school admissions came out today on May 11 and the first instalment for UWO is due June 1. I was wondering if anyone is planning on dropping their UWO admission or waitlist position can maybe DM me or make a post here. I just wanted to gauge if there is going to be some movement this upcoming month and early June. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wigglin said:

Hi everyone! I was accepted into Western's dental school, but intend on accepting my offer for Schulich Medicine instead! I accepted my offer yesterday, and am just waiting for it to update on my student center so that everything is "official". Anticipate some movement in the next couple days! :)

Thanks for letting us know!!! and congratulations on med school!

8 minutes ago, wigglin said:

Hi everyone! I was accepted into Western's dental school, but intend on accepting my offer for Schulich Medicine instead! I accepted my offer yesterday, and am just waiting for it to update on my student center so that everything is "official". Anticipate some movement in the next couple days! :)

Congratulations!!! Thank you so much for the update!