Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Bioengineering undergrad

Dr_med

20 minutes ago, bbpremed said:

I didn’t apply, but I have a friend who did, and they got their acceptance mid-March, I believe. However, McGill sends out admissions decisions on a rolling basis, so they’re still coming out. 

Do you know if they had a very high rscore?

6 minutes ago, hamsterman11 said:

Is bioengineering even in the ordre des ingénieurs du québec? I heard that some people graduated from a new engineering program at mcgill and they still hadn't instored it in the organization. Not sure how credible this is but it should be mentioned.

Good point. They've been accredited by the Canadian Accreditation Engineering Board, but doesn't mention anything about the OIQ.
https://www.mcgill.ca/bioengineering/studies/accreditation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I have received an offer for bioengineering. 

What is everyone's experiences like with it almost a year in? Is it doable to keep a good GPA? Are the lectures engaging? Workload/life balance etc. etc. 

Thank you!

Hey Queee, the answer is not long at all - in fact I really appreciate everything that you highlighted. :)

tbh from researching a million websites etc., you have put everything into one response, which is great. It really is the response I wanted to hear, but didn't want to hear lol if that makes sense. 

I might be caught up in the prestige, and flattered to have received an offer. I do have a fallback as I have also been admitted into the faculty of science and can look into physiology, anat, cell bio etc. 

I would have to start off as a U0 too, which seemed daunting, as I would have to do 5 years, rather than 4. As you mention, the wet lab experience would also factor into this. 

I did read someone's bio where they had taken a science degree and then completed a masters at McGill in biomedical engineering, which might be a good trade off if like many, I don't make it straight into med school. I guess at the end of the day GPA really is king.

I don't mind heavy workloads as I am kind of used to that, but do understand that university is vastly different from high school, but that's good advice not to live too far away. from the university - this would be something for me to consider in my second year. 

On a positive, I do like the sound of the smaller classes which are great, but lack of job opportunities is a worry. 

I have a friend elsewhere that is taking mechanical engineering and taking electives in biomedical stuff. That might be a way to go too, but not sure if I could transfer once in the program, having been accepted to bioengineering? 

Thank you so much!!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, Jaymo said:

Hey Queee, the answer is not long at all - in fact I really appreciate everything that you highlighted. :)

tbh from researching a million websites etc., you have put everything into one response, which is great. It really is the response I wanted to hear, but didn't want to hear lol if that makes sense. 

I might be caught up in the prestige, and flattered to have received an offer. I do have a fallback as I have also been admitted into the faculty of science and can look into physiology, anat, cell bio etc. 

I would have to start off as a U0 too, which seemed daunting, as I would have to do 5 years, rather than 4. As you mention, the wet lab experience would also factor into this. 

I did read someone's bio where they had taken a science degree and then completed a masters at McGill in biomedical engineering, which might be a good trade off if like many, I don't make it straight into med school. I guess at the end of the day GPA really is king.

I don't mind heavy workloads as I am kind of used to that, but do understand that university is vastly different from high school, but that's good advice not to live too far away. from the university - this would be something for me to consider in my second year. 

On a positive, I do like the sound of the smaller classes which are great, but lack of job opportunities is a worry. 

I have a friend elsewhere that is taking mechanical engineering and taking electives in biomedical stuff. That might be a way to go too, but not sure if I could transfer once in the program, having been accepted to bioengineering? 

Thank you so much!!

Hey I know this is very old but did you end up going in bioengineering in the end? If so how is it?