Premed 101 Forums

Cars section

Redface

Buy books of practice questions for CARS (any ones that are for the old "Verbal Reasoning" section are the same as well). The ExamKrackers method of approaching this section is solid in my opinion (they sell books as well). No gimmicks just do one really good thorough read so you really get the entirety of the reading blurb and then go through each question in order. You waste less time that way then with other prep companies' methods. I think just practicing the actual test format will be the fastest way to improve. An English class like one where you read short stories or novels would certainly help if you feel quite disadvantaged and have lots of time to prep and the room in your course schedule. See how you do on a practice CARS section though and that will give you a good idea of where you're starting from.

On 4/4/2021 at 3:14 PM, Persephone said:

Buy books of practice questions for CARS (any ones that are for the old "Verbal Reasoning" section are the same as well). The ExamKrackers method of approaching this section is solid in my opinion (they sell books as well). No gimmicks just do one really good thorough read so you really get the entirety of the reading blurb and then go through each question in order. You waste less time that way then with other prep companies' methods. I think just practicing the actual test format will be the fastest way to improve. An English class like one where you read short stories or novels would certainly help if you feel quite disadvantaged and have lots of time to prep and the room in your course schedule. See how you do on a practice CARS section though and that will give you a good idea of where you're starting from.

Hello, 

thank you very much for your answer. English has historically been my weakest subject in school. Nevertheless, I have consistently been getting 4/6 and 3/4 answers right from **DELETED** CARS practice questions. This is the first time I have ever worked with CARS passages 

I will surely look into the materials you have referred to me. Thanks you  

• 1 month later...

Do practice every day without fail, I'd suggest a minimum of 3 passages per day, and maybe one day a week do 9 passages in a row. Use practice passages that are difficult to read (most practice passages from prep companies are difficult enough). You can look into JW, they give free passages every day for CARS.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, Persephone said:

Any chance you can provide me a link for the EK book you are talking about? I would like to purchase it. I heard the older EK CARS books are better than the newer ones?