Premed 101 Forums

What will happen if I start undergrad in the Winter Semester?

Hello,

I originally applied to my undergrad school for the Fall 2020, before the application deadlines, but very slow processing made the decision come out really late and my academic advisors strongly recommended for me to defer my classes to the Winter 2021. I then started to want to go to medical school. I deferred my admission to the winter semester but I am worried as the wGPA formula for most schools may not count. Also, for schools like Schulich School of Medicine, you have to have all of your classes in corresponding year level. This may not happen as my classes may shift because of this deference. I don't want to be handicapped from this early on in my journey; Should I be worried that these things will happen?

Thank you for your answers.

1 hour ago, Gradual_Man said:

Well, I have already started. What are my options now? It is sad to see getting handicapped because of slow processing.

edit: grammar

Schools like UofT has an explanation essay, I think your situation is very understandable and if you maintain a full courseload each semester hopefully they will take that into consideration. 

1 hour ago, AB27 said:

Schools like UofT has an explanation essay, I think your situation is very understandable and if you maintain a full courseload each semester hopefully they will take that into consideration. 

Well, let's suppose they don't. What schools can I apply to? Are there any schools that will consider me eligible for their own wGPA formula?

3 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

Because wGPA are based on full time status for Fall and Winter terms, and schools won't count a year for GPA unless you took a full course load for Fall and Winter. 

Does that mean my winter 2021 grades does not matter in the cGPA calculation? (Sorry if this is a stupid question; I am pretty new to this)

15 hours ago, offmychestplease said:

it would count for Mac that takes all grades ever taken regardless of courseload (and they dont do wGPA) but I don't think it will count anywhere else but double check that

So starting in winter may not affect me IF my winter 2021 grades are my lowest grades, since they would be dropped anyway?(I checked the UoT website; what you are saying seems to be true)

The grades always "count" but what we're trying to say is that mac doesn't give a shit when you take your courses, you could just do 10 years of summer school and it would be the same as a traditional 4 year program in their math, but most other schools have some sort of GPA weighing system that in theory will improve you GPA through various schemes however you usually have to meet certain requirements and they are typically structured expecting a normal full year. Starting in the winter may or may not affect these schemes, you'll have to check the sites of every school you're interested in, they change frequently enough especially with covid it's not worth trying to remember them all.