Premed 101 Forums

We are two UBC first-year medical students AMA

25 minutes ago, idkbro said:

We don't! From a speculative view, about 40ish spots

This data is in UBC's published admission stats. There's far more wait list movement for OOP applicants. Only 7 IP candidates turned down a seat in 2020. It was higher in previous years and is usually around 20. For OOP, usually 25-30 people turn down their offers.

You can find the data on the last page of UBC's admission stats:

https://med-fom-ugrad.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2021/03/Statistics-2019-2020-MED2024-Website-1.pdf

On 4/7/2021 at 12:08 AM, struggling2getin said:

What have the social events this year been like? Not asking in any snarky way-  curious about what your class has been doing.

For the class as a whole, mostly virtual and not as many events as your class had. At my site, we've had a lot of virtual (and some socially distanced) events with great turnout. With summer around the corner and hopefully if things get better, looking to go on some trips with a few of my classmates

On 4/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, itski said:

hi! how did you guys feel after your interview(s) and did your feelings correlate with the outcome? :huh:

(just me feeling neurotic about my interviews lol

Not the original posters (I am exam free and they aren't yet) but here is a response I wrote in another thread.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, struggling2getin said:

Felt like garbage after I did mine.

In one station, the interviewer asked me a question and my brain had a complete fart about what one term meant so I asked him to repeat the question 3 times, then on the third time the bell rang and I just sat there in regret. In another, I got super intimidated by the interviewer for some reason and they were quite stone faced so I gave pretty bad and like one sentence responses to a complicated question. Then we just sat there after he had nothing more to ask. Finally, in another station, I spent all 8 minutes on the main question and literally concluded with "I need more info" as the bell rang. 

I really don't know how I got in- I wasn't waitlisted either.

I'll see myself out of this AMA now :) 

On 4/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, itski said:

hi! how did you guys feel after your interview(s) and did your feelings correlate with the outcome? :huh:

(just me feeling neurotic about my interviews lol

Lemme tell you something, one of us felt like SHIT (didn't even eat the post-interview pizza) and one of us felt great and had multiple interviewers lol-ing. There is no pattern to things, one of us just had more anxiety leading up to May than the other hahaha

3 hours ago, M3P0 said:

Pointless question I know but is the email subject line on decision day indicative of you got in? (I.e. it says congrats or regrets)

Nooope. Leave your neurotic brain at the door pls you'll thank us later

On 4/11/2021 at 1:58 AM, struggling2getin said:

Not the original posters (I am exam free and they aren't yet) but here is a response I wrote in another thread.

I'll see myself out of this AMA now :) 

2 hours ago, idkbro said:

Lemme tell you something, one of us felt like SHIT (didn't even eat the post-interview pizza) and one of us felt great and had multiple interviewers lol-ing. There is no pattern to things, one of us just had more anxiety leading up to May than the other hahaha

Nooope. Leave your neurotic brain at the door pls you'll thank us later

hahah thank u both so much for taking the time to reply and the encouragements :wub: i will try to be less neurotic for the remaining month