Premed 101 Forums

Parallel plan- to rank or not to rank

Hey everyone, I was wondering for anyone who had matched to their parallel plan or if you know someone who did, were they still happy with their choice or did they wish they accepted going unmatched to try again the following year? It’s tough especially with going for a competitive specialty and having prepared for applications to two specialties, but I’ve heard of both approaches where some wanted no regrets and decided to try once more even if it’s risky, while others still ranked their parallel plan. Appreciate any thoughts! 

Yes I know quite a few people (currently R1/R2) in their parallel plans who are happy and made it work! I think its hard to say you couldn't find ways to be happy in a different specialty personally - I mean how much exposure have we really had through everything? but it really depends on you. if you can't stand the thought of your parallel plan don't rank it. but if there's a chance you could see yourself happy, and you're prioritizing matching more than the specialty, then rank the parallel plan!

I have a couple friends who matched to their parallel paths (IM from surgical disciplines) and they are very happy now and don't regret it at all. Like above, if you could see yourself doing that then rank it, if you can't then don't rank it. I ended up not even applying to my parallel path and am all in on a competitive discipline and I am happy I decided not to apply because I dont want to do anything else... just my $0.02

It all comes down to what YOU want to do in life. 

1 year off to possibly have that chance to do exactly what you want to do isn't very long in the grand scheme of things when you have a career that will span over 30 years.

Going unmatched will definitely provide you with more opportunities if you are proactive in finding them that will increase your chances for next year, especially if you don't have any red flags going in to begin with :)