Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy future job market

Hannahh

Hi

I am a non traditional student, I am 40 years old. I have interests to apply to pharmd program. 
what is the job market in the future, especially hospital pharmacist. 

I heard the US job market for pharmacist is very saturated now, very difficult to find a job after graduation. How about Canada? I live in Alberta but is open to move to different provinces. 

thank you 

5 hours ago, Hannahh said:

Hi

I am a non traditional student, I am 40 years old. I have interests to apply to pharmd program. 
what is the job market in the future, especially hospital pharmacist. 

I heard the US job market for pharmacist is very saturated now, very difficult to find a job after graduation. How about Canada? I live in Alberta but is open to move to different provinces. 

thank you 

What interests you about pharmacy? Has it always been your passion? If you live in Alberta, I would go for it. The reason is that Alberta's pharmacists are one of the highest paid pharmacists in Canada, and the tuition for pharmacy school at U of A is a lot cheaper compared to other provinces. And in Alberta, you can practice the full-scope of a pharmacist's duties. However, if you have good paying job right now, do not risk it for pharmacy. 

but the main issue is if you are willing to take undergrad courses again, and also study 4 years, and possibly one year of residency? 

1 hour ago, Axon2020 said:

What interests you about pharmacy? Has it always been your passion? If you live in Alberta, I would go for it. The reason is that Alberta's pharmacists are one of the highest paid pharmacists in Canada, and the tuition for pharmacy school at U of A is a lot cheaper compared to other provinces. And in Alberta, you can practice the full-scope of a pharmacist's duties. However, if you have good paying job right now, do not risk it for pharmacy. 

but the main issue is if you are willing to take undergrad courses again, and also study 4 years, and possibly one year of residency? 

Thanks for your reply. I am very hesitated for the long school years. I don’t know what is the future job market for pharmacist.  
I have master degree in chemistry, it is not easy to find good paying job as chemist.  And no job security. 

I have a passion for health professions, I also considered bachelor of nursing program which is another 4 years....

3 hours ago, Hannahh said:

Thanks for your reply. I am very hesitated for the long school years. I don’t know what is the future job market for pharmacist.  
I have master degree in chemistry, it is not easy to find good paying job as chemist.  And no job security. 

I have a passion for health professions, I also considered bachelor of nursing program which is another 4 years....

RN is a great and well paying profession too. However, nursing is physically demanding, and you are constantly at the mercy of your province's budget. Right before Covid hit, Alberta was planning to let go of 700 nurses. Same thing with Ontario I think. 

Nurses have very strong unions, while pharmacists do not. 

• 4 weeks later...