Premed 101 Forums

References & Did everyone receive preference survey already?

Hi everyone. I’m feeling a bit nervous today because I found out the site preference survey was sent out. I did not receive this email but I didn’t receive the R email either. I’m just wondering where everyone else is at! Also, can you please say whether or not some/all of your references have been contacted yet & what pool you’re in? 

edit: oops... just saw that the thread I was reading was 2020.... my bad!!! But the questions still remain: please post if you have received the survey/ when you receive the survey & have your references been contacted yet?

Edited by Manifestmd

1 hour ago, Manifestmd said:

Hi everyone. I’m feeling a bit nervous today because I found out the site preference survey was sent out. I did not receive this email but I didn’t receive the R email either. I’m just wondering where everyone else is at! Also, can you please say whether or not some/all of your references have been contacted yet & what pool you’re in? 

edit: oops... just saw that the thread I was reading was 2020.... my bad!!! But the questions still remain: please post if you have received the survey/ when you receive the survey & have your references been contacted yet?

Are you IP or OOP?

1 hour ago, Manifestmd said:

OOP. References contacted mid last week. 

2 minutes ago, Manifestmd said:

I am IP

Don't worry then, they usually check OOP first. Plus, as you say, you didn't get an R so that means you passed the initial MMI cutoff. Your odds of getting an offer after passing the MMI cutoff as an IP are approximately 60 percent. Those are good odds. Take a deep breath and don't check this site too often, it's anxiety inducing.

3 minutes ago, zoxy said:

Don't worry then, they usually check OOP first. Plus, as you say, you didn't get an R so that means you passed the initial MMI cutoff. Your odds of getting an offer after passing the MMI cutoff as an IP are approximately 60 percent. Those are good odds. Take a deep breath and don't check this site too often, it's anxiety inducing.

Needed to hear that...thank you.

I am probably overthinking this, but do you think that submitting a question to be answered at the site selection info session would have any effect on how your application is viewed moving forward? I would like to ask a question about appealing site selection (if it even comes to that) but don't want to come across as picky or give the impression that I wouldn't be ecstatic to just get an offer regardless of where that may be.

23 minutes ago, zedmed said:

I am probably overthinking this, but do you think that submitting a question to be answered at the site selection info session would have any effect on how your application is viewed moving forward? I would like to ask a question about appealing site selection (if it even comes to that) but don't want to come across as picky or give the impression that I wouldn't be ecstatic to just get an offer regardless of where that may be.

Definitely overthinking it. And there's nothing to appeal, you can only appeal things like miscalculation of your UAA. The admissions manual specifies what things can be appealed.

They give people their preferred choice of sites in accordance to admissions rank until one site is filled and then place everyone remaining in the other site irrespective of preference. Admission rank= (.5*Z-score of MMI )+(.2*Z-score of MCAT)+(.3*Z-score of UAA) for IP.

If you're admissions rank is too low and you don't get your preferred site, then there's nothing you can do. By all means, ask a question if you want to but that's not a good question to ask.

1 hour ago, zoxy said:

Definitely overthinking it. And there's nothing to appeal, you can only appeal things like miscalculation of your UAA. The admissions manual specifies what things can be appealed.

They give people their preferred choice of sites in accordance to admissions rank until one site is filled and then place everyone remaining in the other site irrespective of preference. Admission rank= (.5*Z-score of MMI )+(.2*Z-score of MCAT)+(.3*Z-score of UAA) for IP.

If you're admissions rank is too low and you don't get your preferred site, then there's nothing you can do. By all means, ask a question if you want to but that's not a good question to ask.

I was simply referring to the site assignment appeal, linked it below for you. Was moreso just wondering what exactly qualifies as an extenuating circumstance. Thanks for your input.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/policies/ugme/SiteAssignmentAppealSOP.pdf

2 hours ago, zedmed said:

I was simply referring to the site assignment appeal, linked it below for you. Was moreso just wondering what exactly qualifies as an extenuating circumstance. Thanks for your input.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/policies/ugme/SiteAssignmentAppealSOP.pdf

Based on another school with multiple sites and that document I think it would be things like requiring medical treatment that is only offered in one of the cities or being near a sick family member. I'm sure asking that question would have no effect on your app!