Premed 101 Forums

Masters during UofT dental school?

Hi everyone, hopefully there are some current students on the forum! Currently in a dilemma, I've been accepted to the UofT dental program and I'm excited to start. However, there's a masters program in the UK that I would have done in a heartbeat if I hadn't gotten into dent. It's something I'm passionate about and really want to do. I was wondering if it was possible to take a leave absence to do the masters during the DDS or at least the likelihood of deferring my acceptance to do it for a year. There's another program that's 2 years but I doubt I'd be able to defer that long. I don't think I'll be able to do it after the DDS as I don't want to graduate and be doing an unrelated masters for a year or two and then look for jobs after my skills atrophy. Hopefully, there are people with some experience with this. Thank you!

Doesn’t hurt to give the admissions office a call and asking. You may have to make a formal request and they could provide stipulations about doing this. Typically there has to be some significant reason/extenuating circumstance for them to allow you to defer an acceptance to a professional program.