Premed 101 Forums

Is a prep course sufficient preparation for the MCAT?

midaz

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering whether in your experience a prep course is sufficient to prepare for the MCAT? I plan to take the Prep101 course from May-July and then write in August. I'm hoping that will adequately prepare me? I don't have any chemistry or physics background/prereqs so those areas will be mostly new knowledge for me. 

Thanks in advance!

On 4/8/2021 at 8:54 PM, midaz said:

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering whether in your experience a prep course is sufficient to prepare for the MCAT? I plan to take the Prep101 course from May-July and then write in August. I'm hoping that will adequately prepare me? I don't have any chemistry or physics background/prereqs so those areas will be mostly new knowledge for me. 

Thanks in advance!

I took Prep101 for the MCAT and it did the job. I had no biochem or physics in undergrad (but did have orgo and general chem and bio). It is a lot of information at once, but they get you learning it on a schedule in time to write the exam and if you're engaged in the learning and try to address where it's not clicking along the way I think it does work well. I scored competitively on my first write, but I'll be honest it was the non-natural science sections that really saved me. I did fine on the natural science sections but they weren't high enough for Western cut offs for example. I think results will vary from person to person no matter what, but if you are coming at it without some of the base knowledge needed it's going to be your best bet imo (other than taking the undergrad courses first).

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, Persephone said:

I took Prep101 for the MCAT and it did the job. I had no biochem or physics in undergrad (but did have orgo and general chem and bio). It is a lot of information at once, but they get you learning it on a schedule in time to write the exam and if you're engaged in the learning and try to address where it's not clicking along the way I think it does work well. I scored competitively on my first write, but I'll be honest it was the non-natural science sections that really saved me. I did fine on the natural science sections but they weren't high enough for Western cut offs for example. I think results will vary from person to person no matter what, but if you are coming at it without some of the base knowledge needed it's going to be your best bet imo (other than taking the undergrad courses first).

Hey, sorry I am just seeing this now - thanks so much!! I did end up enrolling in the course and so far it has been as you've said - a lot of information at once but i think without the timeline to keep me on track and teachers to access when I have a question, I would probably be down a chemistry wormhole by now haha. Glad to hear it was helpful for you!

3 hours ago, midaz said:

Hey, sorry I am just seeing this now - thanks so much!! I did end up enrolling in the course and so far it has been as you've said - a lot of information at once but i think without the timeline to keep me on track and teachers to access when I have a question, I would probably be down a chemistry wormhole by now haha. Glad to hear it was helpful for you!

I am glad you're finding it worthwhile! All the best to you on the exam!