Premed 101 Forums

Integrated IR residency Canada

I have heard a lot of staff IR at my institution talk about a direct entry IR programs at larger Canadian centres where you match into diagnostic radiology but have been preselected to do Interventional radiology upon admission. Sounded like you would do all your elective time in IR to have a year of residency double counted for the diagnostic and IR royal college and then do an additional year in pure IR after passing the diagnostic RC exam. I have never seen anything like this advertised and couldn't find any info online and was wondering if anyone had any more info about this? 

On 4/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, xXABOMBXx said:

I have heard a lot of staff IR at my institution talk about a direct entry IR programs at larger Canadian centres where you match into diagnostic radiology but have been preselected to do Interventional radiology upon admission. Sounded like you would do all your elective time in IR to have a year of residency double counted for the diagnostic and IR royal college and then do an additional year in pure IR after passing the diagnostic RC exam. I have never seen anything like this advertised and couldn't find any info online and was wondering if anyone had any more info about this? 

There are no direct entry programs right now to my knowledge though like you said there is talk about setting one up eventually. I believe if the American direct entry programs are successful, we may move towards the same model in Canada.

Some of the program descriptions right now make it sound like a 2 year program but the first year requirements look like they're already met during DR residency (~4 IR rotations, PGY1 clinical rotations, etc.).