Premed 101 Forums

Currently a grade 12 student in Vancouver BC. I’ve applied to Calgary, Toronto and UBC for kin. I’ve been accepted to both Calgary and Toronto but am still waiting for UBC. But at this point I feel like my chances of getting into UBC are pretty slim even though it’s my first choice as admissions is ending soon. My goal is to get into med school one day and I’m hoping for some advice as to which program would give me a better chance to achieve my goal.

1 minute ago, biochem4 said:

no one cares about your undergrad degree. all that matters are your cGPA and pre-requisite courses (completed). if you’re planning to go to the US, be aware that med schools there look at your science GPA as well although they will look at your app holistically. 

bottomline is, the field of undergrad degree doesn’t matter. your metrics is what matters

Yeah I get that the program that I choose doesn’t matter in the eyes of med schools, but for example I’ve heard Toronto’s program really focuses on physical education and steers people to become pe teachers which I’m not trying to be. So I just wanted some opinions on the differences between the 2 programs

If you plan on staying there in the summer, then go to Calgary so you can become IP for both BC and Alberta. This alone will give you a bigger advantage than anything else. 

And if you are in grade 12 and you want to move away for uni, then I suggest going to a Sask university. Sask IP has such a huggguuee advantage it's almost ridiculous. 

20 hours ago, MasterDoc said:

If you plan on staying there in the summer, then go to Calgary so you can become IP for both BC and Alberta. This alone will give you a bigger advantage than anything else. 

And if you are in grade 12 and you want to move away for uni, then I suggest going to a Sask university. Sask IP has such a huggguuee advantage it's almost ridiculous. 

So if I were to study in Calgary how would I get IP status in Alberta.