Premed 101 Forums

If I graduate a semester late, would any of the schools ask why?

Long story short, I'm in the process of finishing up my fifth year. However, I've had a really, really difficult month especially in regards to my mental health due to finances (COVID impacting parents' jobs, I haven't been able to find one myself, Toronto is almost inhumanely expensive), doubts about my future (the classic 'will all this have been for naught') and just a really hard final semester overall.

My professors have suggested petitioning my exams until June to give me time to rest—I've had these profs before over several years and I guess they could tell that I haven't been right for a while—and my registrar said it's a good option, but I would not be able to graduate in June as my final marks wouldn't be in.

Frankly, I don't really care whether I graduate in June or November as it doesn't impede my personal life in any way (and maybe a very minuscule chance of an in-person graduation if I choose November?), but I'm worried about what medical schools might think.

I'm thinking of applying to UBC, Dalhousie, Mac, Western, and Queens at the moment.

I don't know what a diploma or official transcript at my school (UofT) looks like so I don't know if it'll be obvious if I chose to graduate late, but I was wondering if medical schools would see this as a point of concern as I REALLY don't want to write that I was dealing with mental health issues and had to petition final exams to take them later. If they do care, I'll do whatever I possibly can to push through. If they don't, then I want some time to breathe. My eating disorder was already bad thanks to COVID (being trapped next to a kitchen 24/7 hasn't helped) but April has truly shown that I can fall further if I keep digging.

Let's assume it will be obvious that you graduate late for purposes of discussion. From what you say, it is a no brainer that you need this pause and your grades will be better by postponing graduation. Regardless of whether adcoms will be curious, this is the right decision. I have no knowledge whether or not doing this will affect your application, but I seriously doubt it. Good luck! :P

7 hours ago, atlrkmrb said:

Long story short, I'm in the process of finishing up my fifth year. However, I've had a really, really difficult month especially in regards to my mental health due to finances (COVID impacting parents' jobs, I haven't been able to find one myself, Toronto is almost inhumanely expensive), doubts about my future (the classic 'will all this have been for naught') and just a really hard final semester overall.

My professors have suggested petitioning my exams until June to give me time to rest—I've had these profs before over several years and I guess they could tell that I haven't been right for a while—and my registrar said it's a good option, but I would not be able to graduate in June as my final marks wouldn't be in.

Frankly, I don't really care whether I graduate in June or November as it doesn't impede my personal life in any way (and maybe a very minuscule chance of an in-person graduation if I choose November?), but I'm worried about what medical schools might think.

I'm thinking of applying to UBC, Dalhousie, Mac, Western, and Queens at the moment.

I don't know what a diploma or official transcript at my school (UofT) looks like so I don't know if it'll be obvious if I chose to graduate late, but I was wondering if medical schools would see this as a point of concern as I REALLY don't want to write that I was dealing with mental health issues and had to petition final exams to take them later. If they do care, I'll do whatever I possibly can to push through. If they don't, then I want some time to breathe. My eating disorder was already bad thanks to COVID (being trapped next to a kitchen 24/7 hasn't helped) but April has truly shown that I can fall further if I keep digging.

will that even show up as a difference on the transcript in the end? Usually it doesn't. In which case that truly is a no brainer - particular without graduation ceremonies. Ask, find out, and see. I again I don't think it will - I had to right exams late due to family issues and it didn't show up as anything different in the end at all. 

If people like that are saying you need to regroup - you need to regroup! 

23 hours ago, rmorelan said:

will that even show up as a difference on the transcript in the end? Usually it doesn't. In which case that truly is a no brainer - particular without graduation ceremonies. Ask, find out, and see. I again I don't think it will - I had to right exams late due to family issues and it didn't show up as anything different in the end at all. 

If people like that are saying you need to regroup - you need to regroup! 

Not that I'm aware of haha, but it still might say 'Graduation Nov 2021/'

I've had some of these profs since I was in second year and I they've all seen me from this super competitive, essay-loving girl to someone just withering away in the corner post-pandemic haha. I used to love going to office hours for things like journal club and getting involved on campus and having all that ripped away + all the financial issues due to COVID affecting jobs has been super awful. :(

10 hours ago, atlrkmrb said:

Not that I'm aware of haha, but it still might say 'Graduation Nov 2021/'

I've had some of these profs since I was in second year and I they've all seen me from this super competitive, essay-loving girl to someone just withering away in the corner post-pandemic haha. I used to love going to office hours for things like journal club and getting involved on campus and having all that ripped away + all the financial issues due to COVID affecting jobs has been super awful. :(

no one would care when it said you graduated. Particularly now. 

definitely consider moving things to where you are in a better state.