Premed 101 Forums

Developing ECs

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to get some advice about developing ECs. My plan is to apply in 2022 for the first time, for entry in 2023. Based off of what I’ve read on here, I think that I will have to do quite a bit of work to strengthen this part of my application… For reference, my GPA is ~88/89%. Pretty average - so I feel like I will need to lean on ECs to stand out.

A quick summary of my current situation: honours thesis with presentation (no pubs), 4 years working in customer service throughout undergrad, 2 years working in project management, multiple hobbies (art, sports, music), minimal volunteering (involved in a few projects here and there, but nothing long-term).

I plan to look for some longer-term volunteer positions asap. There are a few areas of service I’m particularly interested in, so I’m not too worried about finding something I’m passionate about. I am, however, quite concerned about time (I feel like I’m super behind and I’m not sure if a year of experience will get my application to where it needs to be).

Does anyone else have any experience coming out of undergrad with minimal ECs and developing them relatively quickly (a year or so), enough to get an interview/get in? Or do most people work on this for many more years?

Any other advice for developing ECs, especially when out of school?

Thank you.

I think you can spin your customer service job into working with people and be a positive EC. Sam with leadership from project management obviously. Check out the Canmeds roles and see if you can apply multiple to each EC.

Is there any hope of spinning your thesis into a publication, even in a student journal or something? Is there something official you can do with your hobbies? You can put doing art on an application, but its better if you're part of a group, have a website or something that demonstrates it, sells it on etsy or something, and if you're involved in team sports are you in any sort of leadership position as captain or treasurer or anything? Same goes if you're in a band/orchestra, you can put performances etc.

If you're looking for the ideal application you want something health care related and volunteering but they don't have to be the same thing. It's harder right now I've heard to volunteer in health care with covid. Volunteering anything is good, but the highest points are for long-term, high number of hours, and with undeserved communities.

Often people do some sort of longitudinal volunteering through undergrad, Ie work at a food bank or volunteer in the ER a couple hours a week, but you'll have to take what you can get at this point!