Premed 101 Forums

Boomer vs Zoomer Med Student culture

Do any other upper year students feel like med students early in their training these days have a different vibe?
This may just be a crotchety old person rite of passage some people experience, but the farther I get in training the more i feel the 1st years
get a bit less personable, humble, and laid back. This has never been the profession to really exemplify those traits, but
i thought admissions had been trending towards a "holistic" attitude so it should be moving the opposite way, no?
And this is factoring in how 1st years present themselves to seniors vs how they would amongst themselves, to a degree.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueTenenbaum said:

Do any other upper year students feel like med students early in their training these days have a different vibe?
This may just be a crotchety old person rite of passage some people experience, but the farther I get in training the more i feel the 1st years
get a bit less personable, humble, and laid back. This has never been the profession to really exemplify those traits, but
i thought admissions had been trending towards a "holistic" attitude so it should be moving the opposite way, no?
And this is factoring in how 1st years present themselves to seniors vs how they would amongst themselves, to a degree.

Because of COVID, I haven’t been able to interact with any 1st or 2nd year med students during my rotations...However, I mentor some med students online and I found them to be hardworking and polite :)

Any examples to share??

In general, my experiences in dealing with junior learners has been very positive. As @Butterfly_ said above, I do find most to be very hardworking, polite, and respectful towards staff and residents. Obviously with anything there is variability in personalities, but overall I don't notice that they are less personable.

I also think that whats equally important is the way that seniors and staff interact and treat this new generation of learners. There are many different ways to show respect and humility. If we treat junior medical students as equals (seems obvious but not always is in this hierarchical system) and take time to help them navigate the system and teach them, it will help create a generation of physicians that then treat their learners that way rather than propagating the current culture.

I think the majority of people in their early 20s are gonna have a certain degree of immaturity, lack of self-awareness and be just growing out of their adolescent narcissism (and really I am looking back at myself at 20 when I say this). It's not specific to any one generation. I also have found my interactions with the majority of lower year students have been positive.