Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Applying to US OFMS residency

Hello, 

Incoming DDS1 at a Canadian school this September. I'm entering dental school with the aspects of practicing general dentistry, but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't say OMFS and perio aren't attracting my attention.

I was just wondering how difficult it is for a Canadian to gain  OMFS residency at a US school. Also - does the school you go to determine the scope of your OMFS practice? I tend to see  graduates from UAB performing very intense procedures, not sure if this is a coincidence or a result of that specific program. 

Thank you

Not that difficult though of course it is competitive. Look at the match numbers. You need to aim for 5-7 interviews to match. Don't apply to 6 year programs because it is more complicated as a Canadian and you will pay US medical school costs/they will be less likely to select you because of the logistics. If you are in a four year program that also has a 6 year program you will always have the option of going to do the six year route if it is possible. Anyways scope of practice is the same.

3 hours ago, dentistrydmd said:

Not that difficult though of course it is competitive. Look at the match numbers. You need to aim for 5-7 interviews to match. Don't apply to 6 year programs because it is more complicated as a Canadian and you will pay US medical school costs/they will be less likely to select you because of the logistics. If you are in a four year program that also has a 6 year program you will always have the option of going to do the six year route if it is possible. Anyways scope of practice is the same.

great info,,, thank you!

17 hours ago, rv156 said:

great info,,, thank you!

check student doctor forums this question has been asked before. i have lots of friends who went to the US for OMFS. The majority were four year though there were a few who did six year

You actually get a vastly better clinical experience in the US for OMFS btw. The funding in the health care system for those procedures is much higher than in canada and you see more unique situations and tons of trauma in the US which you dont see in Canada.

20 hours ago, dentistrydmd said:

check student doctor forums this question has been asked before. i have lots of friends who went to the US for OMFS. The majority were four year though there were a few who did six year

You actually get a vastly better clinical experience in the US for OMFS btw. The funding in the health care system for those procedures is much higher than in canada and you see more unique situations and tons of trauma in the US which you dont see in Canada.

Yeah, I've just started to use sdn - great resource for omfs-related info.

I would have to agree - from what I see, the scope in the US seems to be far more advanced, when the time comes - that will play a great factor towards my final decision.

thank you again for being so helpful!