Premed 101 Forums

That's decent but I feel like you're gunning abilities are sorely lacking.

If I were in you're shoes, I'd enlist as a gunnery sergeant in the US Marine Corps to boost your extracurriculars. Not only will it help you for getting into medical school, you'll learn skills that will come in handy when you're trying to match at UofT. Gunnery skills are the most important criteria for matching at UofT. It will help you incapacitate your rivals in the brutal battles over limited positions that are in your future.

You should keep doing what you are doing academically.

You should systematically prepare for the MCAT.

You should give your self some time to sit down, grab a pen and paper, plan and strategize your 3rd year.

You should be careful not to over stretch yourself physically and emotionally. Right now you're doing well, but roadblocks can come into one's life without warning. You want to give yourself a bit of "margin of error" in case something happens. Do a "worst case" and "best case" mental simulation exercise when you are about to undertake something big. 

If you want a sport strategy, you've done a lot of offence, so right now you wanna play some good defense. If your wGPA is 4.0, well it can't go up anymore, can it? So let's think about how to keep it at 4 and not make it go down. Let's say you wanna do more volunteering, but will that cut into your study time? Is it worth it to throw a cute pass only to end up with an interception? If you have any hint that any of your other stressors might be a ticking bomb for either your GPA or MCAT, then that would be a good opportunity to call a time out.

I'll give you a real life example. Just like you someone from my high school also went to UofT for undergrad (LMP to be exact). That person did very well, much smarter and harder working that rest of us plebeians haha, they had cGPA >3.95, wGPA probably 4.0 as well, won awards, did club exec, etc etc all the usual. So they write the MCAT at end of summer before 4th year and plan to apply in 4th year. Well that person screwed up badly 1 section on the MCAT on their first try, the old Verbal Reasoning section. For 99% of people probably it's not a big deal, because things like that happen on the MCAT, and maybe just bad luck that day. Usually just take it again and more likely than not that person will get a decent score  and they can apply next year and will probably get in somewhere.

Long story short a "total collapse" ensued, and that person never attempted the MCAT again, let alone apply to med school again.

I am not their confidante so I cannot be certain why they never attempted again, but I suspect they didn't give themselves a psychologic "margin of error", nor did they have a confidante.

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

You should keep doing what you are doing academically.

You should systematically prepare for the MCAT.

You should give your self some time to sit down, grab a pen and paper, plan and strategize your 3rd year.

You should be careful not to over stretch yourself physically and emotionally. Right now you're doing well, but roadblocks can come into one's life without warning. You want to give yourself a bit of "margin of error" in case something happens. Do a "worst case" and "best case" mental simulation exercise when you are about to undertake something big. 

If you want a sport strategy, you've done a lot of offence, so right now you wanna play some good defense. If your wGPA is 4.0, well it can't go up anymore, can it? So let's think about how to keep it at 4 and not make it go down. Let's say you wanna do more volunteering, but will that cut into your study time? Is it worth it to throw a cute pass only to end up with an interception? If you have any hint that any of your other stressors might be a ticking bomb for either your GPA or MCAT, then that would be a good opportunity to call a time out.

Thank you so much! This was definitely a helpful post. I am prepping to write the mcat this summer (just incase I do bad, then I can write it during my third year summer). But thanks for the advice, I think I definitely need to take time to look at all of my commitments and see what I should probably cut off for my own benefit :)