Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

question about western gpa + canadian loans for US dental


Recommended Posts

I see people stating their averages either by GPA or percentages. Like western MD where they want a 3.7 for your 2 years to be considered, does western dental want 3.7 or 80%? Also, do they focus on GPAs or percentages? I have a 90% average this year but my gpa for this year is a 3.77, a 3.77 is way worse than a 90% I'd assume. What do they focus on?

 

US dental could be about $300K USD if i go to a cheap school, I know that Scotiabank gives half of that price as a loan, do I have to have an account with them prior and have credit history? or can I just show them my credit history from my other banks? is there any reason they could reject my loan application? 

Are there any other banks that give a lot of loans? If not, I have an uncle in michigan that can set me up with a US student loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aiikookie said:

I see people stating their averages either by GPA or percentages. Like western MD where they want a 3.7 for your 2 years to be considered, does western dental want 3.7 or 80%? Also, do they focus on GPAs or percentages? I have a 90% average this year but my gpa for this year is a 3.77, a 3.77 is way worse than a 90% I'd assume. What do they focus on?

 

US dental could be about $300K USD if i go to a cheap school, I know that Scotiabank gives half of that price as a loan, do I have to have an account with them prior and have credit history? or can I just show them my credit history from my other banks? is there any reason they could reject my loan application? 

Are there any other banks that give a lot of loans? If not, I have an uncle in michigan that can set me up with a US student loan.

You would qualify for Canadian LOC with a cosigner I believe. Having a relative in the US who can cosign for you there will be key. I'm not sure where you would be able to get a dental degree for 300k in the US unless you are an American citizen. You wouldn't be eleigible for a state school/state tuition as a Canadian...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dentistrydmd said:

You would qualify for Canadian LOC with a cosigner I believe. Having a relative in the US who can cosign for you there will be key. I'm not sure where you would be able to get a dental degree for 300k in the US unless you are an American citizen. You wouldn't be eleigible for a state school/state tuition as a Canadian...

When people say that dental school in US is worth almost 500-600K, are they including transport, food, housing and all? would you happen to know how much loan I would need to get just for the tuition? anything other than the tuition my parents would be able to pay for me I'd hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, aiikookie said:

When people say that dental school in US is worth almost 500-600K, are they including transport, food, housing and all? would you happen to know how much loan I would need to get just for the tuition? anything other than the tuition my parents would be able to pay for me I'd hope.

Yes it is including all living expenses etc. If I were you, I would look at cities with the cheapest cost of living and in comparison the cheapest tuitions you can find as a Canadian. Also state school with out of state tuition would be best because they have state laws that regulate the percentage increase in tuition every year whereas a school like USC/UPenn/NYU can increase the tuition by 6% every year without any issues. 

I have friends who went to NYU 90K tuition alone (excluding ancillary fees and living expenses) and they have ended school with approx 560K USD debt. I don't recommend going down this route. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, aiikookie said:

When people say that dental school in US is worth almost 500-600K, are they including transport, food, housing and all? would you happen to know how much loan I would need to get just for the tuition? anything other than the tuition my parents would be able to pay for me I'd hope.

It really depends on what school you go to. I know someone that paid around 500k USD purely on tuition. Ended up way more with housing, food, travel, insurance. And that was on top of their student debt from undergrad!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

It really depends on what school you go to. I know someone that paid around 500k USD purely on tuition. Ended up way more with housing, food, travel, insurance. And that was on top of their student debt from undergrad!

Which school was this? USC?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...