Premed 101 Forums

NO MATCH 2021 SUPPORT THREAD

Hello fellow Premed101 people, 

Another CaRMS season has come and gone and I congratulate all of you who matched to their top choice residency programs! After years of sacrifice and hard-work, you have finally found the light at the end of the tunnel. It would seem that this finish line represents just the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in your lives!

On the flip side, every year, there are incredible candidates who are not as lucky and don't end up matching to any residencies at all. Countless times, again and again, we see this unfortunate trend as some residency programs are becoming more competitive than ever before. I was among one of those people last year. This year, however, with the help and support of many individuals who came to my rescue and took me under their wing, I am proud to say that I successfully matched to Internal Medicine in a year unlike any other. I am among one of the many success stories this year from a group of people who went unmatched from my university last year. We are living proof that being labelled as "no match" does not preclude you from future success, nor does it limit your opportunities in the future. 

I would like to return the favour to those who are interested and help support future no matchers for years to come. 

For this reason, I would like to start a thread that can be accessed at any time in the future, where users can post their area of expertise and location in the following manner, so that no matchers can reach out to them on a personal message if ever they would like to obtain advice and further information on their experience as a medical student/past no-matcher and what these people did during their journey. 

Format:

Residency Program Matched to: XXX (feel free to put school if you wish to disclose) 

Previously Unmatched: (Yes/No) 

Region: (ON/QC/Eastern/Western)

Hopefully, this will allow no-matchers to reach out to those who volunteered to participate in this thread and can offer inspirational stories and advice on what to do next. The success of this thread depends entirely on our community! Figuring out what to do and making the necessary contacts to achieve it is perhaps the most difficult part of the no match year. I hope that many of you will help give back to those who deserve a spot just as much as we do.

Remember that tough times don't last, tough people do. Your dreams are not just fantasy, you can make them your reality, no matter how much resistance you may encounter. 

If it's bitter at the start, then it's sweeter in the end. 

3 hours ago, NoMatchNoProblem said:

Hello fellow Premed101 people, 

Another CaRMS season has come and gone and I congratulate all of you who matched to their top choice residency programs! After years of sacrifice and hard-work, you have finally found the light at the end of the tunnel. It would seem that this finish line represents just the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in your lives!

On the flip side, every year, there are incredible candidates who are not as lucky and don't end up matching to any residencies at all. Countless times, again and again, we see this unfortunate trend as some residency programs are becoming more competitive than ever before. I was among one of those people last year. This year, however, with the help and support of many individuals who came to my rescue and took me under their wing, I am proud to say that I successfully matched to Internal Medicine in a year unlike any other. I am among one of the many success stories this year from a group of people who went unmatched from my university last year. We are living proof that being labelled as "no match" does not preclude you from future success, nor does it limit your opportunities in the future. 

I would like to return the favour to those who are interested and help support future no matchers for years to come. 

For this reason, I would like to start a thread that can be accessed at any time in the future, where users can post their area of expertise and location in the following manner, so that no matchers can reach out to them on a personal message if ever they would like to obtain advice and further information on their experience as a medical student/past no-matcher and what these people did during their journey. 

Format:

Residency Program Matched to: XXX (feel free to put school if you wish to disclose)  

Previously Unmatched: (Yes/No) 

Region: (ON/QC/Eastern/Western)

Hopefully, this will allow no-matchers to reach out to those who volunteered to participate in this thread and can offer inspirational stories and advice on what to do next. The success of this thread depends entirely on our community! Figuring out what to do and making the necessary contacts to achieve it is perhaps the most difficult part of the no match year. I hope that many of you will help give back to those who deserve a spot just as much as we do.

Remember that tough times don't last, tough people do. Your dreams are not just fantasy, you can make them your reality, no matter how much resistance you may encounter. 

If it's bitter at the start, then it's sweeter in the end. 

Just wanted to say that I am glad you are paying it forward! Wish I could help but keep up the good work. I am sure a lot of people (matched and unmatched) appreciate your advocacy.

Didn't match in 2020, and matched this year - more than happy to answer DMs!
It definitely sucks, but the journey isn't over! 

Very rarely do people in medicine (or elsewhere) get the pressure to self reflect and think of what you REALLY value in life outside of the med-bubble narrative of School-Residency-Practice-ScalingDown-Retiring. The 5th year route also offers flexible time off in some schools to travel (haha..) or pursue other passions while waiting for the next cycle, in addition to elective time to explore the specialty in a variety of contexts that can add to your skillset as well as re-affirming your passion. Most people have 2 months and then residency starts for however many years, so there are definitely silver linings no matter what path you take!

Good luck to you all you will be amazing doctors if that's still the path you feel is right for you <3 

Hi, 

Residency Program Matched to: Anesthesia

Previously Unmatched: Yes

Region: Eastern Canada

No RedFlags in the evaluations. 4/4,33 GPA. Probably a bad interview and a last minute change of plans at the end of last CaRMS.

Did a MSc, multiple research projects, observation rotations and kept a smile.

It is a hard year, but there is a way to succeed.