Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA in business undergrad, what are my options?

Hi everyone,

So I'm finishing up my BBA with no science courses under my belt (I decided on medicine late in the game, during my 4th year). I really wasn't planning on applying to further schooling, much less switching to medicine so my grades weren't a huge priority to me and I didn't do so hot. My biggest concern is that with a low GPA, my application might not even get looked at, even if I do well on the MCAT and get some good extracurricular experience.

My averages by year are:

1 - 3.76

2 - 3.28

3 - 3.42

4 - 3.09

5 - 3.95 (estimated)

Cumulative: 3.50

Average of best two years: 3.86

I'm enrolled to complete some science classes part time at Western this fall so I can cast a wide net with schools. 

However, I'm thinking it might make sense to nix this plan and pursue another degree, full-time. I'm not sure if this should be a masters, undergrad, or some other type of schooling. I read somewhere on a post here that the only way to undo a bad undergrad GPA is with more undergrad. How much truth is there to this? I'm not opposed to doing another undergrad if I have to, I want to do this the right way and be a competitive applicant once I do get to the application stage. 

If I do decide to do a second undergrad (in a science-based field), does the 3/5 rule for Western still apply? Keep in mind I have 0 science pre-reqs. If the 3/5 rule applies, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get my pre-reqs (cater to schools who require them) while also taking 60% upper year courses for Western.

Where do I go from here? Graduate program? Second undergrad? None of the above?

For reference, I'm from Ontario and looking to stay in Canada (ideally Ontario) for both the degree in question and med school.

Thanks in advance!