Premed 101 Forums

OMFS resideny in Canada/US

Hi to all,

I am hoping to talk to someone who has been through the OMFS process in Canada or the US. I'm a Canadian citizen and I'll be starting my DMD next year. Any kind of advice, tips or experience that you can share can be very helpful. I may be asking this early in the process (before even starting my dental degree), but I thought it's never too early to test the waters and get more information. What to look for? What to focus on? How important are externships compared to GPA? etc...

Thanks for any help you can provide! Cheers! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, dent_548 said:

Hi to all,

I am hoping to talk to someone who has been through the OMFS process in Canada or the US. I'm a Canadian citizen and I'll be starting my DMD next year. Any kind of advice, tips or experience that you can share can be very helpful. I may be asking this early in the process (before even starting my dental degree), but I thought it's never too early to test the waters and get more information. What to look for? What to focus on? How important are externships compared to GPA? etc...

Thanks for any help you can provide! Cheers! 

GPA is number 1. Keep your GPA/Class rank high. Canada is very competitive due to limited OMFS seats. Second would be to try and do externships in the summer/Research with faculty. Getting publications under your belt would be a big boost. Then finally, if you have time, being involved in some leadership position, but make sure it does not diminish your grades. 

In Canada going through an internship is the best way to be competitive for the programs, GPR is almost as good. 

For States, just make sure to do your research in advance on every school, the programs may differ tremendously. Attend live Q/A sessions with current residents. Reach out for mentorship from current OMFS residents.