Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone,

 

Recently matched to IM in Ontario as an IMG. Anyone have an insight on the ID job market? It's the field i'm most interested but also am very worried about trying to get into a sub-speciality and just have an horrendous time later finding a job. What do you think? Probably looking at Hematology as my second choice but everything could change. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TorontoTrot said:

Hey Everyone,

 

Recently matched to IM in Ontario as an IMG. Anyone have an insight on the ID job market? It's the field i'm most interested but also am very worried about trying to get into a sub-speciality and just have an horrendous time later finding a job. What do you think? Probably looking at Hematology as my second choice but everything could change. 

Job market is OK in ID. Not amazing but not like GI or Nephro. The good thing about ID is you can always just have a clinic and get referrals, until you find a hospital based job (which is what I'm assuming you would be interested in having). You could do that + do locums in GIM as well, and/or locums in ID (on call coverage on weekends, holidays etc...).

In 5-6 years will things change? Maybe, and its impossible to predict.

Also keep in mind that as an IMG you have an ROS agreement which will limit where you can work for about 5 years... (a bunch of my colleagues were restricted in that regard when looking for jobs)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ACHQ said:

Job market is OK in ID. Not amazing but not like GI or Nephro. The good thing about ID is you can always just have a clinic and get referrals, until you find a hospital based job (which is what I'm assuming you would be interested in having). You could do that + do locums in GIM as well, and/or locums in ID (on call coverage on weekends, holidays etc...).

In 5-6 years will things change? Maybe, and its impossible to predict.

Also keep in mind that as an IMG you have an ROS agreement which will limit where you can work for about 5 years... (a bunch of my colleagues were restricted in that regard when looking for jobs)

Appreciate the response! Yeah the ROS is definitely an obstacle that I need to think about, but that's very encouraging. Any idea how difficult matching into ID is?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 3:09 PM, TorontoTrot said:

Appreciate the response! Yeah the ROS is definitely an obstacle that I need to think about, but that's very encouraging. Any idea how difficult matching into ID is?

If you are flexible on where you can train (i.e. do ID anywhere in Canada), then you should be able to match as stated above. However if you limit yourself to particular schools/programs/locations, it will be harder.

 

On 4/22/2021 at 9:15 AM, shikimate said:

I was curious how many do the ID/MM combo, so they can manage the micro lab as well. These days with demise of most general pathology programs I see many places switch to PhD microbiologists. 

Mostly something in Quebec, none in ON AFAIK. All of our microbiologists are M.D.'s that have either done the ID/MM program or the Medical Microbiology program (which is an FRCPC 5 year program via the R1 match).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ACHQ said:

If you are flexible on where you can train (i.e. do ID anywhere in Canada), then you should be able to match as stated above. However if you limit yourself to particular schools/programs/locations, it will be harder.

Would definitely be trying to stay in Ontario. I have strong scores in USMLEs and could pursue that route but would only apply for programs that are 2 years in the States (many are 3). Let's see what happens, hopefully can make the most of the next 2 years in terms of networking/research. Would prefer to do specialty training in Ontario and then fellowships in the States.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 11:04 AM, TorontoTrot said:

Would definitely be trying to stay in Ontario. I have strong scores in USMLEs and could pursue that route but would only apply for programs that are 2 years in the States (many are 3). Let's see what happens, hopefully can make the most of the next 2 years in terms of networking/research. Would prefer to do specialty training in Ontario and then fellowships in the States.  

 

The only large program that would increase your chances of matching would be UBC. The Rest would be only 1-2 spots x3 schools. The vast majority of spots are in Ontario so if you apply to ALL the Ontario schools you should be OK (again if you have done appropriate electives)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...