Premed 101 Forums

Chances at Med ( Low GPA)

Hi, 

I am a undergrad student currently doing my 6th year at a canadian institution.  My cpa is about 3.18 . I wrote the mcat last year and got a 515. I have several EC's including hospital shadowing , part of organizations , athletics etc. I know canada is out of reach for me . I am kinda lost and I dont know what my other options would be) can yall help.

Heres a little back story about myself:

I am a 23 year old undergrad student with CP. I love medicine , I have always loved it. My early life I spent in hospitals watching doctors treat other patients and myself. I was so inspired by the work that they do and therefore I wanted to be just like them. Ive had to battle CP throughout my life but I never let it take advantage of me. I was a smart kid all throughout my early years and highschool but everything changed in Uni. I got introduced to the wrong crowd and my GPA tanked.  Due to my low grades , I started having severe depression and found that I couldnt focus. It was in my second year that I was diagnosed with a disease called vitiligo. I cant begin to yall how depressing that was for me. As a result I lost complete focus in school and my Gpa became super low. As my vitiligo began to progress , I lost self cofidence and focus. I did not want to go to school and I was ashamed of my own self.  even though my diseases were progressing I decided I was not gonna let them take control. I decided to change my entire life style. I worked out , went to therapy and put my utmost focus in school no distractions. I was doing better in school and I took my life back.  My struggle has taught me how to persevere and be resilient and so I am focused and determined to pursue the thing that I have utmost passion for. I know a bad GPA is a tanker and i cannot come back from it but I want to know what my options are. 

Any help would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Bradley_Premed said:

Hi, 

I am a undergrad student currently doing my 6th year at a canadian institution.  My cpa is about 3.18 . I wrote the mcat last year and got a 515. I have several EC's including hospital shadowing , part of organizations , athletics etc. I know canada is out of reach for me . I am kinda lost and I dont know what my other options would be) can yall help.

Heres a little back story about myself:

I am a 23 year old undergrad student with CP. I love medicine , I have always loved it. My early life I spent in hospitals watching doctors treat other patients and myself. I was so inspired by the work that they do and therefore I wanted to be just like them. Ive had to battle CP throughout my life but I never let it take advantage of me. I was a smart kid all throughout my early years and highschool but everything changed in Uni. I got introduced to the wrong crowd and my GPA tanked.  Due to my low grades , I started having severe depression and found that I couldnt focus. It was in my second year that I was diagnosed with a disease called vitiligo. I cant begin to yall how depressing that was for me. As a result I lost complete focus in school and my Gpa became super low. As my vitiligo began to progress , I lost self cofidence and focus. I did not want to go to school and I was ashamed of my own self.  even though my diseases were progressing I decided I was not gonna let them take control. I decided to change my entire life style. I worked out , went to therapy and put my utmost focus in school no distractions. I was doing better in school and I took my life back.  My struggle has taught me how to persevere and be resilient and so I am focused and determined to pursue the thing that I have utmost passion for. I know a bad GPA is a tanker and i cannot come back from it but I want to know what my options are. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I just wanted to say that I admire your resilience and I wish you the best of luck in this journey! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

You are completely wrong. 

I’m going to say it again to make it very clear to you, you are completely, completely, wrong.

Your love of medicine is somewhat average  for those that come to the site so I don’t think that’s particularly compelling. What is compelling, is that your grades have improved over time, and that you faced very personal, and significant adversity in generating those improved grades over time.

You can absolutely, 100%, gain admission to a medical school in Canada.

Your path might be a bit different than others, and that’s alright. Look up the admission criteria to schools across the country and you will see that with your improving grades there is in fact a path for you to medicine with perhaps a bit more work.