Premed 101 Forums

Pursuing my Bsc part time and following with medicine?

Hey there guys.

I'm doing a Bsc in biochemistry at UdeM. First semester, last fall, I had to abandon two classes and I failed one because of depression following a pretty scarring experience I had. I got started on antidepressants and therapy and I've been doing a lot better. I know my grades are a LOT better this semester, but since a few of the courses I had to take last fall and cancelled were prerequisites for this semester etc, I can only take three classes for fall 2021 and two for winter 2022. 

Now I'm thinking that getting into medicine with a part time file is probably not great. Should I change my bsc? Redo the classes? Or take my time off to volonteer? What's the best course of action to take if I want to get into medicine after?

3 hours ago, Cat_got_my_name said:

Hey there guys.

I'm doing a Bsc in biochemistry at UdeM. First semester, last fall, I had to abandon two classes and I failed one because of depression following a pretty scarring experience I had. I got started on antidepressants and therapy and I've been doing a lot better. I know my grades are a LOT better this semester, but since a few of the courses I had to take last fall and cancelled were prerequisites for this semester etc, I can only take three classes for fall 2021 and two for winter 2022. 

Now I'm thinking that getting into medicine with a part time file is probably not great. Should I change my bsc? Redo the classes? Or take my time off to volonteer? What's the best course of action to take if I want to get into medicine after?

Based on my experience, forget the volunteering bullshit, it will hardly help you. Besides, interviews have been canceled for two years in a row which means that nobody would have even heard about your volunteering. For French Unis, it's pretty much grades man. Make sure you are in a bacc with a high IDF and get good grades. There is no other magic solution to this.
Sorry if I sound condescending, but this is how I see it, and I am a realist.

Hii,

I'm also in a similar situation as you where I had extenuating circumstances and had to take less classes. There are some options like taking the classes you need at another university (programme d'ententes interuniversitaires) if they're not offered this autumn at udem so that you can fill your prereqs for winter. You can ask your TGDE about it so that you can graduate as soon as possible. If medicine is your number one choice, finishing your bac would be number one priority to become eligible to apply to UdeM or McGill, so I don't necessarily recommend changing bac unless if you might see yourself a lot happier in another program. 

Unfortunately I don't know what the effects are in terms of signing up as a part-time student on the CRU and such so I'm also wondering about that too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!! 

2 hours ago, cinnamxn said:

Hii,

I'm also in a similar situation as you where I had extenuating circumstances and had to take less classes. There are some options like taking the classes you need at another university (programme d'ententes interuniversitaires) if they're not offered this autumn at udem so that you can fill your prereqs for winter. You can ask your TGDE about it so that you can graduate as soon as possible. If medicine is your number one choice, finishing your bac would be number one priority to become eligible to apply to UdeM or McGill, so I don't necessarily recommend changing bac unless if you might see yourself a lot happier in another program. 

Unfortunately I don't know what the effects are in terms of signing up as a part-time student on the CRU and such so I'm also wondering about that too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!! 

Thank you for your reply, I contacted a guidance conselor from UdeM today to talk about it and I will have an appointment monday. I'll update.

Thanks for the info, I'll send an email to my TGDE right now!

21 hours ago, mechy said:

Based on my experience, forget the volunteering bullshit, it will hardly help you. Besides, interviews have been canceled for two years in a row which means that nobody would have even heard about your volunteering. For French Unis, it's pretty much grades man. Make sure you are in a bacc with a high IDF and get good grades. There is no other magic solution to this.
Sorry if I sound condescending, but this is how I see it, and I am a realist.

If my good grades are enough it should be good! I'm just concerned since I know some Unis disregard students who finish their Bsc part time. Thanks

Here is what I found:

Les exigences d’études à temps plein et dans le respect de la durée normalement prévue ne s’appliquent qu’au programme vous qualifiant pour une admission aux études médicales. Aux fins de l’admission en médecine, les notions de « temps plein » et de « délai normalement prévu » se rejoignent. Temps plein s’entend  ici d’une charge trimestrielle de cours qui permet de terminer un programme collégial ou universitaire dans les délais normalement prévus. Un DEC, à quelques exceptions près, s’obtient normalement en 4 sessions régulières (2 ans) à temps plein. Un baccalauréat de 90 crédits est normalement d’une durée de 3 ans à temps plein. C’est à dire 6 trimestres réguliers comptant ± 15 crédits chacun. Une prolongation d’une année supplémentaire peut être acceptée si les études ont été faites à temps plein. Toute prolongation des études au-delà de ces normes doit être justifiée au moment du dépôt de la demande d’admission.

Bottom line: I'd say don't worry! I doubt they would simply disregard you if you have the grades and many full time (full load) semesters!