Premed 101 Forums

UBC Med Application - Non-Academic Section

Hey everyone!

To my knowledge, the UBC Med application has around 30 entries to include extra curricular activities within different categories. Is it expected that applicants fill up these 30 entries?

If not, is there anyone that has been accepted to UBC med without completely filling out the entries? And if so, how many did you have blank?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, thenavicular said:
Hey everyone!

To my knowledge, the UBC Med application has around 30 entries to include extra curricular activities within different categories. Is it expected that applicants fill up these 30 entries?

If not, is there anyone that has been accepted to UBC med without completely filling out the entries? And if so, how many did you have blank?

Thanks!

Lots of people who get accepted leave some blank. I don’t think a number of blanks is going to be helpful, because the quality of entries matters as well. Someone with a small number of very strong, long term commitments could (in theory) score as well or better than someone with more entries but all very surface level.

So it’s not expected you fill ALL the entries. That said, you should try to fill as many as you can. Areas that are harder to get have fewer entries, like leadership (3) and service (3). Capacity to work with others is 5. Diversity of experience you can have 10 - this is where people put hobbies, travel, etc, and it can be relatively easy to fill if you get creative about what to include. (I for example, had a few things like dnd role playing on mine). 

The exception is the area of high performance section (3 entires). Many people leave that completely blank because the criteria for it are quite narrow. If you don’t include this section the max is 21 total split across the remaining sections.