Premed 101 Forums

Asking for CaRMS reference letters in rotations with multiple preceptors

I asked a preceptor for a reference letter after doing research with her for 7 months and working with her clinically for two day ( the research was just accepted and published and I spent 500+ hours on this research project throughout medical school/ I was lead author/high quality research). This preceptor declined my request saying that she has not worked with me clinically enough. Does that mean that this preceptor disliked me? It was a multi-preceptor rotation. I feel quite upset because I worked so hard. How do you get reference when working with multiple preceptors.

I won't speak as to whether or not they frankly dislike you, but what I will say is that after such a degree of time investment and (presumably) personal familiarity, for them to flat out decline your request with no effort or offering to solicit opinions from their colleagues with whom you've also worked with.... doesn't necessarily bode well. I would abandon them as a potential letter writer. I'd say focus on developing great impressions with other staff clinically who can speak to your suitability come carms time. In my opinion, if it is not offered, or a resounding yes, then on to the next one. This past match, I've seen a few otherwise strong apps crash and burn solely on the basis of a single poor letter.

In the future, when working with multiple staff, ask the one who you feel you performed best with/developed the most rapport with and ask for them to write a STRONG letter in support of your application. In addition, acknowledge that your time together may have been somewhat limited due to the multiple preceptorship model of the rotation, but add that you can provide them with a CV, and a list of staff/residents that you worked with during the rotation who might be able to shed more light on your strengths/performance to contribute to said letter.

2 hours ago, newmedstudent said:

I asked a preceptor for a reference letter after doing research with her for 7 months and working with her clinically for two day ( the research was just accepted and published and I spent 500+ hours on this research project throughout medical school/ I was lead author/high quality research). This preceptor declined my request saying that she has not worked with me clinically enough. Does that mean that this preceptor disliked me? It was a multi-preceptor rotation. I feel quite upset because I worked so hard. How do you get reference when working with multiple preceptors.

It's super common to only work a few days with a preceptor before asking them for a letter... Your preceptor is just an asshole.

4 hours ago, newmedstudent said:

I agree with @anbessa21 . If a preceptor doesn't sound enthusiastic about writing you a letter, don't use it. Like you, I've been rejected for reference letter requests too (many times in fact). Sometimes, things just don't click.  Whenever I sense any slight hesitation, I automatically write off that potential letter. I think of it as a numbers game. I think I asked like 10 preceptors, and got 5 strong letters to choose from. 

Focus your time on doing well on your clinical rotations and get your letters there. For rotations with multi-preceptors, I asked the preceptor I spent the most time with to write the letter and then asked all the other preceptors to send feedback to that preceptor to strengthen the letter. I was able to get a really strong letter this way and used it for all my apps. Another way to gauge strength of LORs is to look at your evals from the preceptor. Did the eval sound positive? strong? detailed?  If it did, then it's a good chance that your LOR would sound great too. 

Good luck on your next LOR request!