Premed 101 Forums

do all your verifiers need to have official email addresses?

hi all, I'm applying this cycle and I was just thinking about what verifiers I can use for each activity. so I had a job at high school at a kumon and have since lost touch with my employer. they haven't responded to any of my emails on their official address, and since they're working virtually I can't even go hit them up in person. I was wondering if I can use a former coworker as a verifier, but they don't have an official email. or do you think I should ask a trusted professor who knows me to vouch for it instead? I don't know how to go about this

You don’t need an official email, it’s preferred and it may go through another level of verification but it’s not required. I had unofficial emails and it worked out fine.

Be aware, UofA will send an email out to most if not all of your verified contacts for each activity not just your letters of reference. They will all have the opportunity to vouch for you.

A tip on selecting your verifiers/letters of reference. The UofC said a couple cycles ago they stopped sharing the identity of the references to those reviewing your file as to remove some bias. That way it’s more about WHAT they say about you not who is speaking. They also said choose someone that’s not going to be biased and who will be honest. For example, I volunteered as a research assistant in a lab and I could’ve asked for my professor to write my letter of reference, but I asked the lab’s team leader because I worked directly with this person almost every day and the team leader knew me much better than my professor who I briefly spoke to once a week. 

on my UofA application I had some verifiers with unofficial emails and some who were just friends, even my spouse, and it turned out fine I got an interview (currently waiting on the admission decision). Obviously a friend and spouse is more biased but due to the nature of my activity I wrote about I had to put them as verifiers. They may give what my spouse and friend say a little less weight but it’s not the end of the world if you have to do that for some activities. You don’t need to pick the top boss, preferably pick someone at a superior position to you and who knows you. Don’t pick some one for their high profile, it won’t help like you think, pick someone who knows you.