Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances for Canadian Med Schools?

I don't know if I should even bother trying to take the MCAT or not. Im in my second year now and my first year GPA was a 2.9. My second year GPA will likely be a 3.1. I feel like I'm struggling despite being a really strong high school student because I still haven't learned how to study. Even if I put in work and get 4.0 both 3rd and 4th year my GPA won't exceed a 3.6. Any thoughts? Any tips on how to better my studying habits would be helpful! I don't know is this changes anything but I do have some long term volunteer positions but no research yet.

11 hours ago, wannabmedstudent said:

I don't know if I should even bother trying to take the MCAT or not. Im in my second year now and my first year GPA was a 2.9. My second year GPA will likely be a 3.1. I feel like I'm struggling despite being a really strong high school student because I still haven't learned how to study. Even if I put in work and get 4.0 both 3rd and 4th year my GPA won't exceed a 3.6. Any thoughts? Any tips on how to better my studying habits would be helpful! I don't know is this changes anything but I do have some long term volunteer positions but no research yet.

What are you study strategy at the moment? I read a book by Brown, Roediger and McDaniel and it was very interesting since its about scientifically proven study strategy that can enhance long term learning, like testing, active recall, spaced repetition, etc... There are several scientific articles about the same subjects on the internet. You can slowly integrate the study methods in your actual strategy and see what works for you!