Premed 101 Forums

Roommates or no roommates?

10/10 recommend having roommates- I love mine, you have someone to talk to about school who understands, you can study together, etc. Especially in COVID, a lot of people in my class are feeling lonely and isolated and having roommates really helps with that. Also, most med students are respectful, kind, and easy to live with so we basically never have issues (although I'm sure some people are exceptions to this rule). Not to mention, having roommates saves you a lot of money. I'm super happy I decided to live with roommates, I honestly think I would've been so lonely and depressed living on my own. It is a personal decision though!

1 minute ago, Psych said:

10/10 recommend having roommates- I love mine, you have someone to talk to about school who understands, you can study together, etc. Especially in COVID, a lot of people in my class are feeling lonely and isolated and having roommates really helps with that. Also, most med students are respectful, kind, and easy to live with so we basically never have issues (although I'm sure some people are exceptions to this rule). Not to mention, having roommates saves you a lot of money. I'm super happy I decided to live with roommates, I honestly think I would've been so lonely and depressed living on my own. It is a personal decision though!

Not to mention, having a roommate basically means having an OSCE practice partner ;)

There are ABSOLUTELY pro's and cons, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

PROS:
-Mostly listed above: Ability to practice with each other, get a pace for studying / guilt as motivation, social interaction

-Underrated in modern life: You will have a bubble mate automatically (grocery runs, exercise, leisure etc.), and you pool together resources networks and knowledge about the system (how to pad your application, connections for electives/interview practice)

-Easier on the wallet

CONS:
-You may get matched with a total weirdo (aka someone very different from you), this has happened to a few people I know and it's not the worst thing, but essentially many of the above pros will no longer apply

-Some limitations to your freedom according to how much of the above applies (quiet times, noisy activities, judgement, rumours)

If you're an outgoing person, you'll likely make friends regardless of whether they're your roommates or not, with the added benefit of being able to get away and be alone at your convenience. In these modern times I'd recommend having roommates to avoid social isolation. But there are pertinent downsides that you'll have to consider according to your own lifestyle and personality.

Good luck!

I personally love living on my own. I cant see myself living with anyone else. I need the privacy and space. I like my own quiet time, especially while studying or when I feel like staring at a wall for 2 hours or even if I just want to have a beer on the weekend. I like my environment clean and orderly and it needs to have "my vibe", this isn't always feasible with a roommate that has other priorities. 

Yes things cost more (usually just rent costs tbh) but honestly not having to worry about your buddy not throwing his trash away makes it worth it imo. I can see the loneliness thing being a real fact to consider, everyone handles isolation differently. I think being busy with school and then using my down time to do activities with my buddies back home really helps. So I never really feel lonely at all. But everyone is different with this.

Again, theres pros and cons, for me and my personality I think there's more pros to live on my own. It depends on who you are as a person though.