Premed 101 Forums

UBC graduate student policy

Does anyone have experience with UBC Med's grad student policy? If I accept a graduate program and sign up for courses that start after the decision date (July start date or September) and application cycle end date (April 30, 2021), with the hope that I will get accepted into Med and not start the program, does that make me ineligible for admissions? How do people navigate "back up" programs while waiting to hear back from med?

2 hours ago, Pleaseacceptmeubc said:

Does anyone have experience with UBC Med's grad student policy? If I accept a graduate program and sign up for courses that start after the decision date (July start date or September) and application cycle end date (April 30, 2021), with the hope that I will get accepted into Med and not start the program, does that make me ineligible for admissions? How do people navigate "back up" programs while waiting to hear back from med?

If you have never technically started the program you’re probably fine - I don’t think there’s any way for ubc to know, as the courses shouldn’t appear on your transcript. If you get waitlisted it might be an issue. Or if you’re not accepted this year it could be an issue next year though, unless it’s a one year program you’re intending to be finished in time. 

Best thing is to email them and ask, and you can frame it as you haven’t actually accepted anything yet and you’re wondering what are the implications. 

From the Admissions Team:

Thank you for your message and congratulations on your graduate school offer! You are able to accept the offer as long as you do not formally enroll in the graduate program or classes until after MD admissions decisions are sent out in May or until September if you are placed on the waitlist.”

2 hours ago, Dust_Bucket said:

From the Admissions Team:

Thank you for your message and congratulations on your graduate school offer! You are able to accept the offer as long as you do not formally enroll in the graduate program or classes until after MD admissions decisions are sent out in May or until September if you are placed on the waitlist.”

Fackkkkk. What would you say enrol means.. signing up for classes and paying a fee? I registered for classes but haven't paid any fees yet and it's for UBC so they are showing up on my transcript now. fuck fuck fuck.

2 hours ago, Pleaseacceptmeubc said:

Fackkkkk. What would you say enrol means.. signing up for classes and paying a fee? I registered for classes but haven't paid any fees yet and it's for UBC so they are showing up on my transcript now. fuck fuck fuck.

At UBC as long as you drop a class before the add/drop deadline I believe the class disappears from your transcript. Your classes you said don’t start until July? So dont pay your fees if you don’t have to before decisions. Then if you’re accepted to Med just drop the classes, tell your graduate program that you decided not to enroll (you may lose your deposit), and then only send your final transcript to UBC once that is all done. It’s sounds like your registration has happened now anyways, you can’t change the fact you got this far with it - so I would just not sweat it for now, and if for some reason there’s an issue you can beg for forgiveness at that point.