Premed 101 Forums

Any information on preliminary data re: first round 2021?

For instance, in Ottawa our match rate was 98.4% this year (translates to 2 unmatched). Many staying here, and very few leaving the province of Ontario. Definitely some variability in disciplines, though undoubtedly more matched to FM this year than in the previous 3 matches (approaching 40%). 

Curious to know what the match looked like around the country. 

• anbessa21 changed the title to Any information on preliminary data re: first round 2021?
2 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Other than the 2nd round position list, the only public data will be what each school discloses about their own data until 2nd round match day, so hopefully if people at other schools know and can let you know you might get some info otherwise you will have to wait.

How does the total number of 2nd round available positions this year compare to previous years? I guess it could be used as a proxy for # of unmatched students?

3 hours ago, Davinci said:

How does the total number of 2nd round available positions this year compare to previous years? I guess it could be used as a proxy for # of unmatched students?

What is more significant, IMO, is the fact that there are pretty much no specialty spots left in 2nd round this year (outside of pathology obviously). This is especially true for surgical specialties.

2 hours ago, premed72 said:

I was also wondering if there was far more home school matches this year compared to other years, as a result of covid. I guess we will have to wait for that info?

This was mostly what I was wondering as well. The data released to us by faculty (specific to our institution) would suggest so, but I was curious to see how preserved this trend was across the country.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, premed72 said:

I was also wondering if there was far more home school matches this year compared to other years, as a result of covid. I guess we will have to wait for that info?

Based on my anecdotal evidence, This definitely happened. It also seems that the schools in bigger cities faired better in the match vs others. 

1 hour ago, Davinci said:

@bearded frog the stats guru! How does the Canadian average of 94.2% compare with previous years?

This one's easy because they publish a historical summary: https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2020_r1_tbl58.pdf

After first iteration:

Year % Matched
2020 94.9%
2019 94.1%
2018 92.4%
2017 93.5%
2016 94.2%
2015 95.4%
2014 94.6%
2013 95.1%
2012 93.9%
2011 94.5%