Premed 101 Forums

Boosting GPA and further options

Hello everyone,

I just finished 2nd year and am going into 3rd year. I have looked at my 1st and 2nd GPAs, and it's not so good. Considering the GPA calculations for Winter 2020 to not be calculated for Western, I would be looking at a 3.3 GPA. I am confident I can do better for 3rd year, but even then, I won't be in the competitive range of ~3.8 for an interview by 4th year. How should I proceed so that I can be a more competitive applicant for the 2023 cycle?

a) Consider a Master's degree to improve my GPA

b) Complete a 5th year undergrad

Would getting a good DAT score be of any help? I'm looking to apply in Canada and US.

Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Maggiie19 said:

Which Canadian universities? Some (most) of them have wGPA formula that could work in your favor.

From what I've heard, a Master's degree does not really help in terms of GPA boosting but I could be wrong (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Western, UofT, McGill, UBC and and UofA.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:43 PM, wenday said:

Western, UofT, McGill, UBC and and UofA.

From what I've read on this forum (I have not applied to any of these so I could be wrong), it seems like most of these schools have wGPA which could definitely benefit you. I would go through each school and look at the admissions requirement on the websites and calculate your wGPA for each. It will give you a better idea of where you stand.

• 2 weeks later...

For Canadian schools, GPA is king. Having stellar ECs and a personal statement written be a nobel prize winner wouldn't really help you. Honestly your best chance is taking a 5th year and getting a high GPA to apply to Western.

If it helps, I had a classmate who wasn't the brightest girl for the first 2 years. Somehow she did amazing the last 2 years and now she's at Western... so hey, it's definitely possible.