Premed 101 Forums

After scrubbing in, how do surgeons deal with adjusting their glasses. I'm assuming they don't?

Reason I'm asking is that my glasses frequently slip down my nose. It doesn't bother me but I imagine that would be a bit problematic in the OR. Should I just leave my glasses off? My eyesight is quite poor though in that I can't see stuff clearly without them (can't read stuff on my monitor if I don't have them on)

Definitely don’t take them off! Tons of surgeons wear them :) I’ve seen a few tape them to their face or have the circulating nurse push them up if they slide down during the case. You can also look online for those bands that secure the glasses around the back of your head. 

Now that we’re using eye protection consistently with covid, this might be less of an issue because of the masks with visors (just thinking that the visor might help keep them in place). I wear glasses too! I have a couple different pairs, and mainly wear my metal frames with plastic nose pieces, as I find those ones are less likely to slip down than my plastic frames. 

I'm in dentistry and need to wear my glasses with face shield when I'm not using my loupes. I had that issue and it's definitely annoying. I bought a strap (?) that goes around the back of my head like bread mentioned. It fixed most of the problem (at least they don't fall off my face anymore), but it causes another; either I put the band tight and it hurts my head or I leave it a bit loose and the glasses slide a bit which feels uncomfortable. I figure this problem would be less annoying if you wear metal frames with plastic nose pieces like bread mentioned.

Accepted to a surgical residency program and this has frequently crossed my mind. I had bought a pair of glasses a few years ago for medical school but they slip down my nose in the OR. Thus, I am searching for a nice metal frame brand that are both stylish and comfortable in the OR (have to look stylish while operating!).

Anyone have recommendations for metal frame glasses?! :P I should stop wearing my contacts so frequently 

5 minutes ago, RicardoKaká said:

Accepted to a surgical residency program and this has frequently crossed my mind. I had bought a pair of glasses a few years ago for medical school but they slip down my nose in the OR. Thus, I am searching for a nice metal frame brand that are both stylish and comfortable in the OR (have to look stylish while operating!).

Anyone have recommendations for metal frame glasses?! :P I should stop wearing my contacts so frequently 

My partner’s glasses once slipped into a patient’s open abdomen too :o

Mine are actually just from Walmart! They were affordable, look nice, and stay on my nose. I’ve heard of some people buying glasses online too!

Congratulations on your match!!