Premed 101 Forums

Is there anyone who aren't from Alberta accepted in Med School (UofC)?

I am not from Alberta but currently studying in U of Calgary. I know that the GPA required for me is higher like almost impossible! However, if there is any non-Albertans here who are accepted in the Med School, I would just like to know if there is any advice you could give. I am pretty much decided that I want to go here. I just need some hope. Thank you!

UofA and UofC med both admit a maximum of 15% of OOP applicants per year. At UofA, matriculated OOP applicants have a higher GPA and MCAT compared to IP applicants (https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying-to-medicine/before-you-apply/admission-statistics.html). At UofC, this is also true but to a lesser extent as the seats are filled competitively once at the interview stage (see their applicant manual for more info on this). Due to this, it's almost never the case that the full 15% of OOP seats are filled at UofC (no idea whether this is the case for UofA or not).

So in terms of advice...  have a strong GPA/MCAT/extracurriculars in order to land an interview and then perform well on the interview, I guess? That's probably unhelpful but there's really no "magic formula" for getting is an OOP applicant. As long as you meet the cutoffs for application, your application will be scored according to the same criteria as the IP applicants (the files are blinded at UofC so the reviewers don't know anything about your geographical status, age, gender, etc. unless you choose to reveal it in your Top 10). You will just need to have a higher file review/interview score than the avg IP applicant to ultimately get an offer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 10:56 PM, Jeejee_26 said:

I am not from Alberta but currently studying in U of Calgary. I know that the GPA required for me is higher like almost impossible! However, if there is any non-Albertans here who are accepted in the Med School, I would just like to know if there is any advice you could give. I am pretty much decided that I want to go here. I just need some hope. Thank you!

If you stay in Alberta over the summer you'll be considered as IP after two years(one of which will be the year you apply).

• 2 weeks later...