Premed 101 Forums

COVID funding for residents

11 hours ago, InterestingConsult said:

Hey y'all, I'm a resident in Ontario. Received this email from the OMA a couple weeks ago. Has anyone been able to claim this funding for blocks where they've been redeployed?

Screenshot_20210428-111310~2.jpg

This is not funding for redeployment. This is for working on a restricted license outside of the work you do as a resident. If you are redeployed as a resident, that changes the block/rotation you are on but does not entitle you to this hourly pay. If you were to work extra overnight shifts in the ICU as an MRP through this policy using a restricted license, then you would be entitled to this pay.

2 hours ago, QuestionsAbound said:

This is not funding for redeployment. This is for working on a restricted license outside of the work you do as a resident. If you are redeployed as a resident, that changes the block/rotation you are on but does not entitle you to this hourly pay. If you were to work extra overnight shifts in the ICU as an MRP through this policy using a restricted license, then you would be entitled to this pay.

I sincerely hope no one under r4 specialty residents are being able to work as MRP on ICU.

I've seen R1/R2s being offered that wage to work as MRP in the ED, even then i've advised them to take strong caution.  Its not worth the potential headaches of potentially being MRP for legal purposes while dealing with a multi-collision MVA. Things are not yet that bad that we truly need junior residents taking MRP roles when unnecessary, no matter what beuracrats say.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, InterestingConsult said:

The email from PARO today regarding this new Medical Residents Redeployment Program makes it sound like we might be eligible for $50/hr

That is a completely separate program. That program is where you work extra shifts outside of your program requirements (not redeployment to another block), without a restricted license, and they will pay you an hourly rate. They give an example in that email.

I doubt anyone has successfully claimed this program because it was only approved on April 29th.