Premed 101 Forums

UofA Waitlist 2021

Great idea - thank you! 

Do you think we’ll see much movement once the Ontario schools send out their offer of admission on the 14th or once UBC’s waitlist starts moving? 

I always wonder if Ontario students also apply in large numbers to U of A or if it’s mostly those from the prairies...?

2 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

Great idea - thank you! 

Do you think we’ll see much movement once the Ontario schools send out their offer of admission on the 14th or once UBC’s waitlist starts moving? 

I always wonder if Ontario students also apply in large numbers to U of A or if it’s mostly those from the prairies...?

I feel like UofA is a good back-up to the Ontario schools for Ontario students, as it doesn't have a provincial preference like many of the other schools. I emailed and UofA said we can start hearing/inquiring about waitlist sections (top, mid, bottom) after May 17.

4 minutes ago, PotentialOT said:

I feel like UofA is a good back-up to the Ontario schools for Ontario students, as it doesn't have a provincial preference like many of the other schools. I emailed and UofA said we can start hearing/inquiring about waitlist sections (top, mid, bottom) after May 17.

I was thinking the same thing. In the email they also said they accepted just over half of the people on the waitlist last year. I wonder if that’s the norm or if it was due to covid? 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, 2021ot said:

I was thinking the same thing. In the email they also said they accepted just over half of the people on the waitlist last year. I wonder if that’s the norm or if it was due to covid? 

That’s the norm! However the wait list is usually 100 people and I heard this year it is 150

On 4/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, ot_lea2021 said:

Great idea - thank you! 

Usually at least ~25 spots opens up after ontario schools release acceptances. The rest trickle in over the summer and remember there are lots of people who apply to OT at other schools as well as other programs (med, Physio, etc) and may decline their OT spot here if they get into their top choice program and/or school. Waiting can be painstaking but good luck to you all! 

14 hours ago, OThopefully said:

That’s the norm! However the wait list is usually 100 people and I heard this year it is 150

Thank you for your response! Definitely eased my anxiety a bit. And yes it’s 150 people this year. Do you think they increased the waitlist because they’re expecting it to move quite a bit? 

On 5/6/2021 at 3:23 PM, 2021ot said:

Thank you for your response! Definitely eased my anxiety a bit. And yes it’s 150 people this year. Do you think they increased the waitlist because they’re expecting it to move quite a b

Edited by ot_lea2021

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ReallywanttobeOT said:

I was told I was in the bottom half. Does anyone know if people who are in the bottom half usually make it in? I feel like the answer is no but just trying to plan out what I should do in the fall. 

I think U of A OT takes in more than half of their waitlist every year usually but this year has 150 seats so maybe they're anticipating to take more? Either way, don't lose hope! I know it's so nerve wracking having to wait. 

2 hours ago, PotentialOT said:

I got an email saying I am in the middle. Argh! That's so tough to tell!

I got the same email this morning - the wait and worrying is so tough! I’m crossing my fingers that there is enough movement to start admitting people in the middle. It’s been my dream to go into OT for years as I’m sure it has been for everyone else. Here’s to hoping we get admitted!

20 hours ago, OTuofahopeful said:

I got the same email this morning - the wait and worrying is so tough! I’m crossing my fingers that there is enough movement to start admitting people in the middle. It’s been my dream to go into OT for years as I’m sure it has been for everyone else. Here’s to hoping we get admitted!

I hope you get off too! Do you think top of the list is # 1-50, middle is 51-100, and bottom is 101-150? 

Also, from my understanding the first 60-80 people got in last year.

Usually it’s closer to 50-60 people. 

I suspect last year, more people got off the waitlist because it was a COVID year...which meant online lectures, travel uncertainties  (between provinces even...like the Atlantic bubble). I think this then prompted the U of A to increase their waitlist just in case if this year is like last year’s. Which it may or may not be...

Again, I hope this year yields the same amount of people to get off the waitlist as last year!

17 hours ago, PotentialOT said:

Has anyone received an acceptance off the wait-list yet?

I haven’t heard that anyone has yet...after all, it still has only been like 3 days since the Ontario schools released their acceptances. 

I think that we’ll begin to see movement next week, and probably a big wave after May 29th (as it is the last day to accept an Ontario offer). 
It’s good to keep in mind that a lot of people accept and pay their deposit for several schools, and typically make their final decision close to the last deadline. So, I would suspect that even though many of those who decided to go with an Ontario school rather than U of A...will probably not decline just yet until they have firmly accepted an Ontario school.

53 minutes ago, ot_lea2021 said:

I hope you get off too! Do you think top of the list is # 1-50, middle is 51-100, and bottom is 101-150? 

Also, from my understanding the first 60-80 people got in last year.

Usually it’s closer to 50-60 people. 

I suspect last year, more people got off the waitlist because it was a COVID year...which meant online lectures, travel uncertainties  (between provinces even...like the Atlantic bubble). I think this then prompted the U of A to increase their waitlist just in case if this year is like last year’s. Which it may or may not be...

Again, I hope this year yields the same amount of people to get off the waitlist as last year!

Thank you! And yes I believe that the wait list is likely broken down into those sections. I hope this year yields the same amount of people too!