Premed 101 Forums

Hey has anyone that matched in Ontario received anything from their program about next steps like CPSO? CMPA?  The shortened timeline is making me a little nervous because I haven't received any instructions about doing or submitting any administrative documents. Am I the only one or is everyone else also waiting?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my classmates called CPSO.   Our license number is the same as our AP number but the AP will disappear on July 1st.  Our licenses will officially be granted July 1st, on that day we will appear

I haven't received an email from the CPSO yet. I called them last week and they told me that they're having an issue with the "data pull from CaRMS" and that I "need to be patient". I asked whether th

FWIW, talked to a CPSO registrations rep this am who said we should be expecting them to reach out via email (the address we provided to CaRMS) by the end of the week.

Posted Images

I haven't received an email from the CPSO yet. I called them last week and they told me that they're having an issue with the "data pull from CaRMS" and that I "need to be patient". I asked whether they thought it would be an issue with us starting on July 1 and it being a shortened timeline this year, they said they weren't anticipating any issues in getting the applications reviewed and that it would take about 4 weeks from the time we submit it. 

I called the CMPA last week too and talked with them. They told me that I should apply online myself. When I asked why it says that new residents should wait for an email, they told me to disregard that and just make a new application myself. 

2 hours ago, aray623 said:

I haven't received an email from the CPSO yet. I called them last week and they told me that they're having an issue with the "data pull from CaRMS" and that I "need to be patient". I asked whether they thought it would be an issue with us starting on July 1 and it being a shortened timeline this year, they said they weren't anticipating any issues in getting the applications reviewed and that it would take about 4 weeks from the time we submit it. 

I called the CMPA last week too and talked with them. They told me that I should apply online myself. When I asked why it says that new residents should wait for an email, they told me to disregard that and just make a new application myself. 

Pretty sure you need a CPSO number to be able to apply to CMPA anyways. Also CPSO could be delayed past July 1st if you require the registration committee for whatever reason. 

59 minutes ago, CaRMS2021 said:

Pretty sure you need a CPSO number to be able to apply to CMPA anyways. Also CPSO could be delayed past July 1st if you require the registration committee for whatever reason. 

you need to update your cmpa account with your cpso # when you get it,  but you can apply without it. I applied and have proof of coverage now

29 minutes ago, aray623 said:

you need to update your cmpa account with your cpso # when you get it,  but you can apply without it. I applied and have proof of coverage now

That was quick, did you pay as well or are those deducted monthly? I was told to wait when I called CMPA a couple of weeks ago...

56 minutes ago, CaRMS2021 said:

That was quick, did you pay as well or are those deducted monthly? I was told to wait when I called CMPA a couple of weeks ago...

The lump-sum payment came out today! You have the option to do lump sum or monthly though. I called on Monday or Tuesday of last week, and that's when they told me to just go ahead with it!

Thanks for giving me some assurance. Talked to some other students and seems like we're all in the same boat. Do you guys know if the CMPA is processed instantly (I'd prefer to wait before spending some money)? 

30 minutes ago, cookie_m said:

Thanks for giving me some assurance. Talked to some other students and seems like we're all in the same boat. Do you guys know if the CMPA is processed instantly (I'd prefer to wait before spending some money)? 

You can choose the monthly preauthorized debit. Not sure if the annual option is paid instantly. 

I’ve gotten some conflicting info about CPSO registration... my program said to apply ASAP through the CPSO website, but that we’d be getting a package from them on how to apply by end of April (haven’t received anything yet). Our school said to hold off for the next couple of weeks and that the package should be coming in that timeframe. 

I haven’t looked into the CMPA yet, but if you’re in Ontario, you’re eligible to get some of the fee reimbursed! See here: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/mlp/schedule.aspx. Apparently the process is pretty straightforward and just involves filling out their form on the website. 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, aray623 said:

The lump-sum payment came out today! You have the option to do lump sum or monthly though. I called on Monday or Tuesday of last week, and that's when they told me to just go ahead with it!

What province are you?

I have registered but no payments yet, I cant find on their website when it says payments come out for either monthly or annual..?

14 hours ago, RicardoKaká said:

What province are you?

I have registered but no payments yet, I cant find on their website when it says payments come out for either monthly or annual..?

I'm Ontario. I can't remember where I saw the fee payment schedule. I'll try to take a look around the site and see if I can find it on the site. From what I recall, the monthly payments come out on the 20th of each month, and going forward (I guess after we pay for the next 6 months if doing lump sum), yearly payment needs to be made by Jan 1. 

On 5/4/2021 at 12:15 AM, bread said:

I’ve gotten some conflicting info about CPSO registration... my program said to apply ASAP through the CPSO website, but that we’d be getting a package from them on how to apply by end of April (haven’t received anything yet). Our school said to hold off for the next couple of weeks and that the package should be coming in that timeframe. 

I haven’t looked into the CMPA yet, but if you’re in Ontario, you’re eligible to get some of the fee reimbursed! See here: https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/ohip/mlp/schedule.aspx. Apparently the process is pretty straightforward and just involves filling out their form on the website. 

Thanks for the tips! Any other tips to make the transition easier are appreciated

1 hour ago, cookie_m said:

Thanks for the tips! Any other tips to make the transition easier are appreciated

No problem! Apparently we can also claim moving costs on our taxes next year, so hold onto any relevant receipts if that applies to you too :)

37 minutes ago, bread said:

Has anyone heard from the CPSO yet? And to confirm, we aren’t supposed to apply until we get that email from them, correct? :)

someone from my school mentioned CPSO had said early this week for emails to be sent out, so maybe tomorrow? Good luck!

13 minutes ago, cookie_m said:

Anyone know what's going on with CPSO? Some people already got emails to register and some people didn't. Is there a date where we should have gotten an email inviting us to register by?

I got an email from this this afternoon, saying that they sent some people registration info yesterday, but that those emails were in error. They went on to say that they would be sending us the correct registration info “in the coming days”, and not to register with the email from yesterday if you did receive it. Poor CPSO, it sounds like they’re having a rough go with this! 

40 minutes ago, bread said:

Really eh?? I haven’t gotten any emails yet!

I too received a couple of non-specific emails from the CPSO yesterday, none with login info (though I suspect this is because I already registered an account and submitted my application last Friday bc I was tired of waiting). Don't wait for them - it's absolute nonsense. It's quite easy to proceed on your own - just verify your email address (use the same one you provided to CaRMS) and then fill out the postgraduate certificate application. Based on the email they sent out to current year matched CMGs, you can just send them a message through their portal clarifying that you are a current year CMG matched through CaRMS after you submit the application. Otherwise, at this rate, we wont have CPSO licensure by the time July 1 rolls around.